Solved [Solved] test(1) possible bug

Hello,

when writing a shell script I experienced behaviour of test(1), which I really cannot explain.

-z is supposed to be True if the length of string is zero.
-n is supposed to be True if the length of string is nonzero.

Here is a script that shows the behaviour:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

foo=

if [ -z $foo ] ; then
        echo "A"
fi

if [ -n $foo ] ; then
        echo "B"
fi

The output is to my surprise:
Code:
A
B

Did I miss something or is this a bug?

Re: test(1) possible bug

Enclose the variable in double quotes:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

foo=

if [ -z "$foo" ] ; then
        echo "A"
fi

if [ -n "$foo" ] ; then
        echo "B"
fi

Thanks! So the behaviour of test(1) is caused by some character that is added or already there (due to the nature of the shell) while evaluating, am I right?

Well, @SirDice was quicker than me to respond :p The explanation why it behaves like that is a tricky one but you have to look at the strings passed to test(1) in both cases. Without the double quotes you are passing no argument to test -n because the shell does the expansion before building the argument list for test(1) and without the quotes there's not even an empty string left. With double quotes the value of "$foo" is properly an empty string that is passed as the first argument to test -n.

Edit: Sorry I'm writing rubbish again. Without double quotes what gets fed to test(1) is -n ] and the ] character is definitely a non-empty string.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's hard to say, I would actually expect a syntax error as the line would be evaluated as
Code:
if [ -z  ] ; then
But it seems happy to accept it:
Code:
dice@armitage:~ % sh -x test.sh
+ foo=''
+ [ -z ]
+ echo A
A
+ [ -n ]
+ echo B
B

In any case, it's usually best to enclose variables in double quotes as the value could also contain spaces. And those are surely going to cause syntax errors:
Code:
dice@armitage:~ % sh -x test.sh
+ foo='it has spaces'
+ [ -z it has spaces ]
[: it: unexpected operator
+ [ -n it has spaces ]
[: it: unexpected operator

Thanks. This is a bit tricky, but more or less clear. A syntax error would be definitely more robust.

Another reason for the observed behaviour is that test(1) seems to treat the ] character as just another string and does not throw an error if it's the only argument to a test, like this: [ -n ]. It's 100% equal to writing test -n ].

All more reasons to drop the [] syntax (which isn't shell syntax at all really) for tests because it's so ambiguous. Better just write if test -n "$foo"; then ....

Back