Solved [Solved] New forum loses track of read posts?

I have experienced several occurrences of the new forum software losing track of the posts I have read. Posts that I know I have read, and that were marked as read upon log out, are sometimes showing up again as unread upon my subsequent login, even though no change was made to the post since I last read it. I know this because I never log off the forum when there are unread posts. I have either read every unread post, or marked every unread post as read before I log off.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Re: New forum loses track of read posts?

The icons shown should change color from red when unread to gray after they have been read, even though they are still shown.

I have no idea how the forum software works, but if the forums website uses cookies for tracking read/unread posts, that could explain the mentioned behavior. You would need to have persistent cookies set up in your browser for the forums if that is the case. I haven't really paid attention to this myself.

wblock@ said:
The icons shown should change color from red when unread to gray after they have been read, even though they are still shown.
And they do. It's just that in a few instances they show up later as unread (red) again without having been modified since my last view of them. I'll try to track things a bit more carefully to see if I can pinpoint anything in particular. I sometimes have two forum tabs open at the same time during the same login session. Maybe this has something to do with it?

It is certainly not a big deal as it has only happened a half-dozen or so times. Maybe it really is "just me".

protocelt said:
I have no idea how the forum software works, but if the forums website uses cookies for tracking read/unread posts, that could explain the mentioned behavior. You would need to have persistent cookies set up in your browser for the forums if that is the case. I haven't really paid attention to this myself.
Okay, thanks. I double-checked my browser's (www/chromium) privacy settings and they are set to "allow local date to be set" for cookies, which is the recommended setting. I'm going to try to track this issue a bit more carefully to see if I can pinpoint the circumstances under which it occurs.

The fact that other users did not pile onto this thread with "me too" responses suggests it may be the result of something I am doing rather than I am simply more observant.

I have just done a quick check, rebooted the system to a different operating system and logged in with a browser that I definitely never have used here. At least the settings in the current board have been preserved. I have not compared all boards. But this is by far more than I have ever expected and has had been helpful during my first steps with FreeBSD. I am not sure whether this requires cookies or proper login and logout. But I am pretty sure that this is not related to cookies which are stored persistent on the users system between two sessions. Of course it is not impossible that everything between the forum and the users system is synchronized at logout. And i have no idea what the button Delete all board cookies on the right bottom of the page does. I think the forum performs well. May be somebody will explain why. :i It is better as if would have to be the other way around.

chrbr said:
Of course it is not impossible that everything between the forum and the users system is synchronized at logout.
If what I have seen (or think I've seen) is the result of incomplete data-syncs at session logout or timeout more people would have noticed and/or commented I suspect.

I never even noticed Delete all board cookies.

Okay, so here is an example of what I've experieced ... and it is with this very thread. I just logged on to the forums at 19:47 local time and this thread showed recent activity. However, the recent activity was my own post to the thread at 14:12 earlier today. This thread should not have shown up as having unread posts, especially when the latest was my own post.

EDIT: I had logged in about an hour earlier and this thread did not show up as having recent unread activity at that time.
EDIT2: I read this post https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44221during my pervious login session. It shows up now as unread. There is only one post in the thread, so once again no new activity since my last login session.

Is it possible edits by any posters in the thread (including yourself) reset it to unread status? Again I don't know how the forum software works, but just a thought.

protocelt said:
That post had a correction edit from @DutchDaemon. Did you read it before the edit or after.
For that one I think you are correct. @DutchDaemon edited it at 19:10, which would have been after the session during which I first read it.

However, that does not seem to be the case with this thread http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44220 which I first read on or about 16:00 and then it showed up again as unread during my 19:45 session. It does not appear to be edited and has only a single post.

I've switched browsers from www/chromium to www/firefox in an attempt to see if maybe my board cookies are just all screwed up. I've never used www/firefox to access the FreeBSD forums so I should be starting with a clean slate.

Last edited by a moderator:

If that doesn't work for you, you may have to wait for an Admin or Mod to chime in then.

Messages can be edited without a message or other notice. Maybe that resets the "read" flag.

wblock@ said:
Messages can be edited without a message or other notice. Maybe that resets the "read" flag.
I'm thinking that must be what is going on. I've noticed that there are times when I edit my own message that it does not show an "edited" caption, while at other times it does.

I'm going to mark this one as "Solved" so we can all move on.

Thanks to all.

Back