Solved [Solved] Linux compat/file question about Crashplan

Hi all-

I'm running Crashplan from ports (http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/linux-crashplan/) which has been working like a champ - this runs under Linux emulation, although it's a Java application (AFAICT). I recently tried to add /usr/home as a backup location, but the app sees /compat/linux/usr as /usr instead of FreeBSD's /usr dir, and therefore I can't navigate to my home dir to back it up. Symlinks outside of /compat/linux don't seem to work. The maintainer of the port says it "works for him" so I'm wondering - is this perhaps running jailed? Is there a way to tweak the settings in Linux compatibility to allow Crashplan to see /usr/home?

This is an edge-case question, most likely, but maybe someone has some insight. If there's a better forum for this, please point me in that direction!

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Re: Linux compatibility/file question in reference to Crashp

Greetings,
Frankly, I know just about nothing regarding the port you're using. But it might be worth trying to symlink (ln(1)) your "home" dir where ever your app expects to find it. For that matter, perhaps symlink the app's working dir to your home. Really. I'm groping in the dark here. But those possibilities came to mind. Maybe it'll give you some additional thoughts.

--Chris

Symlink was the first thing I tried, with no luck. It's behaving like it's "jailed" inside of /compat/linux, when it's not actually running jailed. Which is odd, too, because I have a separate ZFS mount called /data which is hanging off the FreeBSD root that the app sees just fine...

Darren

Bumping this. What's interesting is that I've got some directories hanging off of the FreeBSD root dir that I can access just fine -- I have a RAIDZ mounted under /data that I have no problem walking the tree with Crashplan, however, any system directories are the ones under /compat/linux, not the ones hanging off root. So, somehow, the binary is able to see /data, but what I want is for it to see /usr/home, not /compat/linux/usr/home. It's kind of like jailed behavior, but also not. Symlinks created inside /compat/linux that point outside of /compat/linux are ignored.

Is there something I need to be configuring at the linux-compat level (i.e. access outside of /compat/linux), or is this purely the behavior of the Crashplan app?

Cheers,
Darren

Merely a thought - would it respond if you gave it an URL type description instead of a directory (?).

I solved this by nullfs mounting the desired directories inside of compat/linux. All better

Back