Solved [SOLVED] FreeBSD as a VM Host and x64 graphics drivers

Good evening BSD Community,

Now that NVidia has released x64 drivers for FreeBSD and my hardware....I'd like to give the OS another shot.

I've been in linux for years, and I've been frustrated with the lack of standards. But the lack of video drivers was a sticking point in FreeBSD. These days now that I'm retired, I watch a lot of movies, so the video issue is gone.

I also develop under contract in the Windows world for internal use by a corporation. It seems that there still isn't a soverign solution for a VM Host in FreeBSD. The OSE version that is hamstrung, removes the very thing I needed: USB.

If dual-boot is the solution, then just let me know and that problem is solved too.

Would someone kindly comment on the robustness and operation of the x64 drivers in general from NVidia, and if I'm wrong on the VM Hosting....please correct my understanding?

Thanks!

Dave............

I have excellent experience with the stability of the nvidia driver. I don't do much graphic intensive work however, maybe dvd playback is about as crazy as I get. My son plays some Windows games in a VBox VM, and they seem quite reasonable in performance, and now stability.

I am unaware of any FreeBSD virtualization solution which does USB passthrough other than qemu. And QEMU passthrough only works up to the 7.x branch and only does up to USB 1.1 devices, no high speed connection. I am overall very impressed with the stability and performance of Vbox. In many ways, it's far better than XEN, but you'll get no love on the USB.

In addition to that point, if you're actually doing some real USB developmental work I don't think developing in a VM enviro is the best solution. Even on OS's/hypervisor's where USB passthrough is an option there are seemingly always quirks. Best to avoid that setup.

Back