Solved [SOLVED]Freebsd 7.1 gnome trying to get it to work like if I was on linux

nuBSDuser said:
So yea I want to apologize for all the ranting, I know I need to read all the docs just haven't had the luxury of time and wanted to get up and running quickly

I want to have a full flavor of all os's so I will learn all the ins in outs of BSD in time.

Compared to ubuntu(from where you are coming, i'm guessing) the "get it up and running" part differs greatly. For Ubuntu this is a desktop with gnome with all the bells and whistles that they have packaged, for FreeBSD it's the base system with no user land programs(X, gnome etc).

You really need to start reading the documentation if you want to use freebsd, which will take no more than 1 hour for the basic settings(The I. Getting started part). If you just want it up and running there are other options out there like PC-BSD or DesktopBSD which are based on FreeBSD but have an initial GUI environment(usually KDE) that probably will soften the initial step to a *BSD OS.

As for "package managers"/"ports manager" that you might be used to from ubuntu, they are listed in the handbook(portupgrade or portmaster or portmanager, yes you get to choose...). However they are based on being used in the console and not as a GUI. The .deb repository and functionality is a debian/ubuntu specific thing, not a common linux package distribution system.

nuBSDuser said:
everybody knows gnome is more widley used so I don't understand why bsd and slack still go with kde

Hey now! You'll won't get as much help if you start a flamewar. A lot of distros go with KDE as a default because they prefer it, and even more offer both so the user can choose. Not everyone should be crammed into the same box.

Brandybuck said:
Hey now! You'll won't get as much help if you start a flamewar. A lot of distros go with KDE as a default because they prefer it, and even more offer both so the user can choose. Not everyone should be crammed into the same box.
Freebsd doesn't offer anything so you have even more choice :e

SirDice said:
Freebsd doesn't offer anything so you have even more choice :e

Which is the way i want! I want complete control over what i need in my system, which is exactly the way it is with BSD, and a couple of flavors of Linux that i still use, Lunar and Sorcerer.

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
Which is the way i want! I want complete control over what i need in my system, which is exactly the way it is with BSD, and a couple of flavors of Linux that i still use, Lunar and Sorcerer.

I want it that way too! It's not about being l33t, it's about being in control all the way down to the bolts. If all I wanted to do was read email and surf the web, I would be using a Mac.

nuBSDuser said:
I've tried many flavors not just ubuntu of linux

Have you used Slackware, Gentoo or Arch? They're much closer to FreeBSD in spirit than may distros.

One thing that FreeBSD does that most Linux distros do not, is not muck about with system settings when you install ports/packages. Using cups as an example, most Linux distros will automatically start the cups daemon if you install cups. But under FreeBSD it will put a startup script in /usr/local/etc, but won't actually turn it on. It's up to you to enable cups in /etc/rc.conf. Likewise, FreeBSD will not modify, brand or "improve" any third party software. Other than bug fixes, FreeBSD ports will be "vanilla" with no changes.

This is a very different philosophy from most Linux distros, and one that frustrates newbies coming from Linux. If it gets too frustrating, you might consider PC-BSD, which is 100% FreeBSD underneath, but smooths out some of these administration wrinkles.

Back