Solved [SOLVED] FreeBSD 10 with two video cards

I have two video cards in my FreeBSD 10 box. One is an AMD HD and the other is an nVidia. Both work fine when only one is installed. I would like to have both of them in my box at the same time, using the AMD card for the video and the other for some dev work I'm doing. When I start my machine with both installed Xorg fails and says it can't find any screens. I've verified the correct drivers are in use in my xorg.conf. I was wondering if there is something I have to do to force the system to use the AMD card (installed in the first PCIX slot) for the video?

Re: FreeBSD 10 with two video cards

Please provide your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files.

kclark said:
I would like to have both of them in my box at the same time, using the AMD card for the video and the other for some dev work I'm doing.

Sorry, can't tell what you mean by that. Do you mean multiseat, where two monitors run separate X sessions? Or just a single session where the desktop is shared across the two monitors? Or multi-session, where each monitor has a different X session?

As @trh411 asked, please show your xorg.conf, but rather than put /var/log/Xorg.0.log in the thread, put it somewhere accessible like pastebin.com and give the URL.

Last edited by a moderator:

It may be possible to run a second card if the user creates a jail with the necessary Xorg and other components. The first xorg.conf would need to be commented out from the jailed xorg.conf to prevent a second signal being sent to the hardware.

pretty sure I just found the cause. The log's state that I don't have VgaArbiter in my system. I had no idea what that was, but after a little reading it looks like it's needed so the system doesn't send data to the wrong VGA. Looking for it in the ports now :O

Why haven't you provided any info or answered any questions? I asked for your /etx/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files so we could understand your X configuration and see if the log provides any clues as to what's really going on. @wblock@ asked for clarification on exactly what you are trying to do as it is not clear from your original post. You have done neither. I'm guessing you really don't want our help.

Last edited by a moderator:

You'd be guessing wrong, because I'm trying to get those for you right now ;) I have to recreate the problem to get those logs. I reinstalled the system because I screwed something up big time, hold on and I'll get you the logs.

@wblock -- I only want one video card to run a single XOrg session on the primary video card. I'm doing this because I've been wanting to play around with things like CUDA on the second card.

kclark said:
You'd be guessing wrong ...
Isn't the first time and won't be the last time. I'm a notoriously bad guesser :)

Can you provide the specific versions of your video cards. There are a lot of AMD HD and Nvidia cards out there. Seems not to be able to find drivers for either. Thanks.

EDIT: I see you built WITH_NEW_XORG, did you also build WITH_GALLIUM?

The primary video card is a Radeon HD 6400 Series and the secondary card is a GeForce 210. What's funny is, the drivers seem to be found when the cards are by themselves in the box.

Is there a way for you to easily disable one of the cards, maybe the Nvidia since that is intended as your "play" card? It might be easier to get the AMD working with X first, then focus on the second card. Just a thought.

I would add a BusID in the Device section to identify which card to use. It may also be necessary to tell X not to load the NVidia driver. Can CUDA be used without installing the NVidia driver?

Thanks everyone, it looks like I've got everything working. I didn't have to disable the NVidia driver. I did a pciconf -lv and then added the following to xorg.conf

Code:
Bus ID "PCI:1:0:0"

Edit:
I also noticed that I had

Code:
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0

Under the ServerLayout and removed the trailing 0's since I also noticed XOrg was complaining about the monitor count.

I started to tweak things a little bit, anyway, for those intrested here's my xorg.conf on how to load both drivers but use one video card.

Code:
# XFree86 configuration file for RoFreeSBIE

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/modules"
	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"