Solved [Solved] Digitally Preserving Books

Hi,

I have a couple of books that my grandad gave me which were produced in 1942. They detail interesting information regards the RAF and Royal Navy, however, they are in a rather delicate form.

I took a photo of a page regarding the principles of flight to share with my friends (as attached), as my friends and I are pilots. This lead me to wonder if I could make a digital copy to share with squadrons, museums and the like; and also to retain the information in case the physical form disintegrates.

Has anyone ever had a project that involved digitising a physical book? Or know any software that may help to produce something a bit better than a group of photographs?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140816_161016.jpg
    IMG_20140816_161016.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 486
Re: Digitally Preserving Books

Firstly, copyright, who owns it? Without the permission of the copyright holder, you may not copy to share with anybody. If you own the copyright, or have written permission from the copyright holder, you can scan it into electronic files.

spanglefox said:
Hi,

I have a couple of books that my grandad gave me which were produced in 1942. They detail interesting information regards the RAF and Royal Navy, however, they are in a rather delicate form.

I took a photo of a page regarding the principles of flight to share with my friends (as attached), as my friends and I are pilots. This lead me to wonder if I could make a digital copy to share with squadrons, museums and the like; and also to retain the information in case the physical form disintegrates.

Has anyone ever had a project that involved digitising a physical book? Or know any software that may help to produce something a bit better than a group of photographs?

Many thanks!

Should look into Project Gutenberg, they have an archive out of copyright books preserved digitally like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and many others. Also you should look into scanning the book into PDF. A scanner and Xsane should allow you to do this.

Thanks all!

I have managed to find that Adobe Acrobat can scan and recognise the text (OCR). Simpler than I thought it would be!

Given the recent memorials, regarding both wars, I thought it was something important to do "my bit" to help remember those who fought for freedom. As the saying goes, "Lest we forget".

Back