Solved [Solved] DHCP not working for FreeBSD 7.3 VM

Hi,

I have two VMs running FreeBSD 9.1 and FreeBSD 7.3 on VMWare ESX Hypervisor. DHCP is enabled in both the VMs, but only the FreeBSD 9.1 is assigned a DHCP IP address. Note that I have other VMs too that run on the VMWare ESX, and all other VMs are assigned an IP address by the DHCP Server.

While FreeBSD 7.3 starts up, I see the following:
Code:
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255. port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255. port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255. port 67 interval 17
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255. port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255. port 67 interval 9

FreeBSD 9.1 configuration (IP assigned by DHCP):
Code:
# cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname="FreeBSD1"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
sshd_enable="YES"
dumpdev="AUTO"

# cat /etc/resolv.conf 
search abc.pqr.com
nameserver 10.60.132.40
nameserver 10.60.248.10

FreeBSD 7.3 configuration (DHCP not activated):
Code:
# cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname="FreeBSD73"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ipv6_enable="YES"
keymap="us.iso"
sshd_enable="YES"

/etc/resolv.conf doesn't exist. even if I place the same values as FreeBSD 9.1, the DHCPDISCOVER request still exists.

I have searched for this error online, but everywhere the problem was resolved with hardware replacement. Since in my setup I am using VMs, could anyone please give me pointers for troubleshooting this error?

Thanks.
Shehbaz

Re: DHCP not working for FreeBSD 7.3 VM

My suggestion would be upgrading the unsupported version to something more recent.

Hi @ShelLuser,

I have a few other dependencies because of which I have to run a FreeBSD 7.3 VM on the VMWare ESX server. I tried running FreeBSD 9.1 on the VMWare ESX server just to check if there was anything wrong with the network. But since that seems to be running, there should be a way to troubleshoot the networking issue in FreeBSD 7.3 also.

Regards,
Shehbaz

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm going to make two assumptions:

• 1. You did not just install FreeBSD-7.3 on a VM today; and
    2. DHCP used to work on the FreeBSD-7.3 VM yesterday.
Given these assumptions begs the question "what changed?" Either:

• 1. a change was made to the FreeBSD-7.3 VM's DHCP or network configuration; or
    2. a change was made to the DHCP server (or some other related network component); or
    3. a change was made to the VWware environment in which the FreeBSD-7.3 VM runs.
Whatever the change was it broke DHCP on your FreeBSD-7.3 VM. Figuring out what that change was will help resolve your problem. Maybe checking with your networking guys would help?

trh411 said:
I'm going to make two assumptions:

• 1. You did not just install FreeBSD-7.3 on a VM today; and
    2. DHCP used to work on the FreeBSD-7.3 VM yesterday

DHCP never worked on FreeBSD 7.3. I am currently installing the VMware tools package to FreeBSD 7.3. Then Ill try to connect to the network using vmnet0 (currently it was using the e1000 interface). I'll update the thread when I get a solution. I am not sure about the DHCP server going down or some other network issue, but I will check the network connection and ask the network admin.

Thank[ ]you.

The output of ifconfig would be useful to see if the interface is even recognized. If it is, the output of running dhclient(8) on it manually would also be interesting.

Hi,

I just wanted to inform the members that the problem was with the DNS server in the network. I had to register the hostname in the DNS server to get DHCP working for the VM. My VM is now able to pick up a DHCP address from the network.

Thank[ ]you.

Back