SOLVED ~ Compiled and installed MC, Xorg, Fluxbox, Xfe & Leafpad, error on startx

I just figured out how to do this, added both root and user still not working with either.

no such file or directory
wheel operator video

thought I had done it as root - can't load i915kls: No such file or directory
Not sure if this is a typo from writing back the error, but did you kldload i915kms (not kls).
While here: ls /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
If it does not exist, then make sure that graphics/drm-kmod is installed

To check if you have both installed run
pkg info xf86-video-intel drm-kmod

If it says 'no package matching' install it using ports. After installation run as root 'kldload i915kms' and check if you can startx.
drm-kmod was the missing piece of the puzzle. (which I think has been mentioned several times).
I broke down and looked into installing from ports, turns out it's extremely easy once you have a basic understanding.

Thank you all, this has been a great introduction into the world of FreeBSD, look for my next question, coming soon to a forum near you.

Afterthought:

… added both root and user …

As far as I know, it's never necessary to add the root user to any user group.

pw(8)

I want to say, root is the superuser, but something about su(1) make me wonder whether it's technically correct to say so.

drm-kmod

– was the missing piece of the puzzle. (which I think has been mentioned several times). …

Ignoring the top one-third of the page, does <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#drm-kmod> make sense to you, as a novice?

I mean, would it have made sense if you had stumbled into this part of the wiki before learning anything about graphics on FreeBSD?

1643088026858.png

Otho would you change the order of things in the pictured part of the page?

(The fourth and fifth bullet points don't really fit under the phrase Example configuration, we can easily fix that.)

The situation with Intel drivers is a bit complicated. I had to install both of these. Yes, drm-kmod *should* suffice, but if not, install the other driver too.

I'd love the wiki page to be unmistakably clear with regard to rules (or rules of thumb with exceptions).

With the current wording, in the screenshot above I see "Blah, blah, most cases blah optional", which is not good enough (I'm being ruthless, cruel, about my own edition of the page). IMHO this type of thing is crying out for a flowchart, a flowchart to cover more than just graphics, for newcomers. Here's not the place to discuss flowcharts (off-topic, solved etc.) … I'll probably go solo to produce something.

Last edited:
I'd love the wiki page to be unmistakably clear with regard to rules (or rules of thumb with exceptions).

With the current wording, in the screenshot above I see "Blah, blah, most cases blah optional", which is not good enough (I'm being ruthless, cruel, about my own edition of the page). IMHO this type of thing is crying out for a flowchart, a flowchart to cover more than just graphics, for newcomers. Here's not the place to discuss flowcharts (off-topic, solved etc.) … I'll probably go solo to produce something.

As for Intel, there are 2 problems, not very clear wiki page (obsolete table, optional drivers without any condition statement, misleading info - in reality not all HD graphics are supported by drm-kmod, there's no info what to do with pre-HD cards, etc.), and probably a bug affecting i915kms installation also on amd64. It would be nice to have a dedicated thread for discussion :)

Afterthought:

As far as I know, it's never necessary to add the root user to any user group.

pw(8)

I want to say, root is the superuser, but something about su(1) make me wonder whether it's technically correct to say so.

drm-kmod

Ignoring the top one-third of the page, does <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#drm-kmod> make sense to you, as a novice?

I mean, would it have made sense if you had stumbled into this part of the wiki before learning anything about graphics on FreeBSD?

View attachment 12734

Otho would you change the order of things in the pictured part of the page?

(The fourth and fifth bullet points don't really fit under the phrase Example configuration, we can easily fix that.)
Probably wouldn't have done me any good, now most of it makes sense and if the reader has some knowledge this would probably be helpful (I had zero and to be honest, I don't have much when it comes to Linux either).
As for SU I was under the impression it stands for Switch User.

I've tested drm-kmod and intel drivers on a fresh install of FreeBSD 13. For Intel HD and preHD cards driver from xf86-video-intel doesn't work. Xorg loads VESA, forcing intel driver manually doesn't work (I mean, forcing does work, intel driver doesn't).
Drm-kmod works, but it's for HD 3000 and later cards, so hopefully it won't blow up my computers ;)

drm-kmod was the missing piece of the puzzle. (which I think has been mentioned several times).
I broke down and looked into installing from ports, turns out it's extremely easy once you have a basic understanding.

Thank you all, this has been a great introduction into the world of FreeBSD, look for my next question, coming soon to a forum near you.

Otho, you may add the 'Solved' prefix to your thread Thread encouraging-use-of-the-solved-prefix.82253. Thanks.

Hi!
Do you still use that laptop?
Are you also experiencing an issue of a sudden blank screen for few seconds?
This only happens when laptop is unplugged from power source.
From time to time it gets a black screen an it get back on.
Seems related with battery power stages and display power saving functions.
I don't know how to turn those features off.
Seems related with this report but I believe they didn't yet figured where the problem is

Back