Solved [Solved] ACPI Crash prevents CD boot on HP Probook 4545s

This stands on OpenBSD, PC-BSD, and FreeBSD, but FreeBSD is my priority. Upon attempts to boot with any kernel options, my laptop hangs (without kernel panic) after identifying the ACPI APIC type (hpqoem). This causes it to be prohibitive to attempt to install any form of *BSD, because no matter which medium form I use, this hang occurs. I've attempted to redownload the image, I've tried DVD, HDD partition, and USB install mediums, and all have had the same results.

Re: ACPI Crash prevents CD boot on HP Probook 4545s

If there is any more information anyone needs, I can try my hardest to provide it. I'm not experienced with BSD-based operating systems, though. Only Linux-based, and a large amount of the skills aren't transferable, as I understand it.

Based on the subject, are you saying you cannot boot from any FreeBSD DVD *.iso? Or memstick *.img? Please specify which specific installation media you are using, e.g., FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso.

My first guess, given it's a newer HP laptop with Windows 8 installed as standard, is to go into the BIOS at boot, enable the CSM Module (or Legacy BIOS as it's sometimes called), and turn off Secure Boot if an option is given (Most times enabling Legacy Boot will automatically turn off Secure Boot if there is not a separate option for it in BIOS). Then restart the computer with the FreeBSD install CD in the drive.

I've tried every possible medium from 9.0+. and I converted everything into an MBR partition scheme, just because of how much of a pain UEFI was being with Linux.
EDIT: I mean I use Legacy boot only.
EDIT2: I've tried bootonly, usbfull, and dvd1, each using flash drive, DVD, and HDD partition mediums.
EDIT3: (sorry, I'm not great at being complete) for FreeBSD versions 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, and 10.0

Can you capture and post the output on screen when Boot hangs?

I can with my phone. It never fully loads the kernel. one second.
EDIT: It just hangs there. No kernel panic, no nothing. I've waited for hours for a change before.
EDIT2: the hang is the same for FreeBSD. The reason I used a PC-BSD disk is because it was the first one I found.

Attachments

• shrunk.jpg
    shrunk.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,047

You already tried turning off ACPI in the Boot Options menu?

That's strange. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what is going on. The HP BIOS code may be non standard and highly tailored For Windows only. The fact that all of the previous BSD based Operating Systems you tried to boot exhibit the same behavior makes that highly probable. Linux supports hardware usually at a faster rate then the various BSDs in general. Sorry I can't help more.

It's OK. I'm going to see if I can't modify the BIOS myself for better support.

And that's highly likely. with Linux, I always had to install in MBR mode, and then manually install the EFI bootloader by tricking Linux into using pregenerated UEFI symbols. Everything is nonstandard.

bioshacker001 said:
I can with my phone. It never fully loads the kernel. one second.
Turn on the verbose boot option (this may be an option on the main boot menu, or hidden under an "Options' selection, depending on FreeBSD version). Then post that pic.

It is likely that the boot got further than displaing the ACPI table name, but by default the kernel doesn't print every little step it takes. A verbose boot should show where it really stops.

Also, try repeating the verbose boot and see if it always stops at the same place. It is possible that some probe that the kernel is doing triggers something which happens later (for example, accidentally enabling a hardware watchdog). You may need to try different media or a different FreeBSD release to prove / disprove this, as boot timing will be relatively consistent when repeatedly booting the same kernel from the same media.

@Terry_Kennedy: Booting with Verbose corrected the boot problem, confusingly enough. Rather than being stuck at that part in the boot process, I had a boot time of about a minute. What changes does the Verbose option (4) make to the boot options, other than -vv?

Last edited by a moderator:

bioshacker001 said:
@Terry_Kennedy: Booting with Verbose corrected the boot problem, confusingly enough. Rather than being stuck at that part in the boot process, i had a boot time of about a minute. What changes does the Verbose option (4) make to the boot options, other than -vv?
That's all it should explicitly do. Of course, it changes the timing of various operations due to the delay introduced by the console printing. What sorts of things did bootverbose print between where things used to hang and the next normal (non-verbose) lines? I'd look in there to see what things the kernel is doing.

It's a successful boot, so I'll pipe the output to a file and upload that. I got a successful install as well, so whatever's wrong with this is plaguing only the install media images.
EDIT: also, I can't tell you what's normal for verbose, so I'll just record the entire boot process.

I have discovered something interesting. I'm testing it as we speak, but the crash may be caused by having external power (laptop being plugged in) during boot.
Edit: nope. Failed boot still. Might be heat related, though.

I've discovered the problem. An onboard hardware power management circuit is to blame. Disabling it allows it to boot. The ACPI implementation itself is not at fault.

bioshacker001 said:
I've discovered the problem. An onboard hardware power management circuit is to blame. Disabling it allows it to boot. The ACPI implementation itself is not at fault.
Ok. I'm glad to have pointed you in the right direction.

Back