Solved [Solved] 9.2 server only accepts connections from LAN

This one is hard to explain in a subject, I don't think I have done it justice there.

It is an odd one and one I think will be fixed with a network restart, or system reboot. It all started after I had some issues with an ezjail restart getting stuck on a jail and I had to do some manual killing. But I am interested to learn more about this.

Environment = pfSense firewall that has a rule to direct traffic on port 11000 to the FreeBSD 9.2 server (I'll refer to this machine as 'server' from here on).
This has all been running smoothly for 6-12 months or more.
  • If I ssh to the server from the LAN, no problems.
  • ssh from the internet on port 11000 fails
  • a tcpdump on the server when trying the above sees packets getting to the server on its internal port 22, as I would expect.
  • If I change the firewall rule to point to a different machine inside the network, all works as expected.
  • I put sshd on the server into debug mode, when nothing is reported when an SSH connections comes in over NAT from the firewall.
This makes me feel like the issue lies between the interface and the SSH daemon, kernel networking?

Simple tcpdump run on the server when a SSH connection is coming in from an internet origin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8095045

I'll need to restart the network and get this working soon, but I am very curious to learn about what this could be or ways on FreeBSD to more deeply inspect this and the network stack.

Back