SMB authentication error

I solved it just reading and reading and reading. Thanks very much SirDice for your information.

Finally, I added two lines to my smb4.conf

max protocol = SMB2
ntlm auth = yes

With these two lines I am telling the Samba Server to use the Samba version 2 and forcing the server to use NTLMv2 authentication. (More info at https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html).

So, finally I have all the 1TB-disk directories of my Samba Server on my Raspberry Pi running FreeBSD 12 :) yuhuuuuuu!

FYI: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-October/000893.html

Although the discussion so far looks like smbfs will stay in base, it will continue to only support SMBv1, which is useless for most scenarios. The recommendation is to use some FUSE implementation if you need it.
As we can see in the mailing list, there're companies massively using Samba to share files between very different systems. Also , we can see an intention do drop smbfs from 14.0 fully. Another enigmatic plan to get rid of users... 😒

How so? smbfs only supports SMBv1, and that is utterly useless nowadays. If you control both sides, why not just use NFS?

And given it was broken without anyone even noticing (wild guess: because close to nobody uses SMBv1, for kind of obvious reasons), removing it would be better than delivering broken stuff…

But hey, there's also discussion about porting some code to finally support SMBv2/3 – this would actually be useful. Let's hope someone does the work. If not, well, you'll have to use some FUSE implementation.

vlig : Have you read the Handbook? It offers a great place to start. If you do that setup on your UNIX server, the shares will be visible on your Windows client. I followed the Handbook, ended up with a share that I can only access with root credentials. I kind of need that for my scenario, but I plan to disable the SMB server when my project no longer requires SMB access. And this is a home setup that I'm doing just for myself.

vlig : Have you read the Handbook? It offers a great place to start. If you do that setup on your UNIX server, the shares will be visible on your Windows client. I followed the Handbook, ended up with a share that I can only access with root credentials. I kind of need that for my scenario, but I plan to disable the SMB server when my project no longer requires SMB access. And this is a home setup that I'm doing just for myself.
I close to become insane of reading from different sources))) Including Handbook of course. The problem is how to connect a FreeBSD laptop to shares on my Pi on Raspbian. Here is the topic, still no luck 😣 (except smbnetfs which just works).

I close to become insane of reading from different sources))) Including Handbook of course. The problem is how to connect a FreeBSD laptop to shares on my Pi on Raspbian. Here is the topic, still no luck 😣 (except smbnetfs which just works).
Have you tried installing WebMin on your Pi? Probably not the smartest idea, but it's the only one I can think at the moment of that can help you with creating a usable smb4.conf config file to export your Pi-hosted shares. Once the shares are properly exported, and the smbd daemon is running, FreeBSD should have no trouble picking those up.

Oh, and don't confuse that with NFS - similar ideas, but different config files. If you use Samba, you can't use /etc/exports, that's only for NFS.

I frankly think that NFS is better than Samba for sharing files between UNIX machines. You can export the same folder path using (NFS and /etc/exports) or (Samba and smb4.conf). Whichever method you pick, stick with the correct config file for that method, don't mix them and expect things to work.

FWIW, it's perfectly possible to have the same /path/to/share/and/file exported with both NFS and Samba - just make sure you first do one method (and take it to completion), then the other.

both NFS and Samba
Just connected my FreeBSD-laptop to my shares via NFS =) Not clearly got it about using WebMin for the purpose (it has been installed just for fun), but I see the Samba way the most reliable way to share files among devices (including Android and WebOS). NFS is definitely cool, but it isn't so multi-purpose. So, for now I only see simultaneously use of the both.

Back