SmartOS

Has anyone tried, or is anyone currently using SmartOS?

In the past before Oracle eliminated OpenSolaris, that is what I was using, then looked at FreeBSD Jails and ultimately settled on OpenBSD. Since I will be adding a couple of domains I decided it is time to move off my old OpenBSD server onto something else. OpenIndiana is a ghost project now and I've looked at OmniOS which allows KVM. I am also testing FreeBSD again.

Then I remembered SmartOS. I have it installed currently and have created a Zone and installed pkgsrc, which I am used to (and like) because I also presently run NetBSD. So I am curious if anyone else has opinions on using it or any tips, such as, upgrades, etc.

Would be nice if it matures.

And now....

I hadn't heard of it until now. I have heard of a smartass.

So, will there be a SmartAssOS or not?

sossego raises a very valid point ;)

Frankly I could never bring myself to use an operating system that has the word "smart" in it!

@@gpatrick depends what you want from the system. I'm using OpenIndiana for ~ two years now and it's doing its job as expected (storage backend).

I only heard about SmartOS, mainly due to implementation of native KVM; didn't try it yet.
It's a pity though that relatively small OpenSolaris community is now divided into even smaller projects :(. I call this a Linux syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back