Solved Slow and laggy Gnome 3.16 / Xfce 4.12

I did a portupgrade on both my work and home systems recently, and unfortunately both systems became unresponsive (last update was like 2/3 weeks ago). Both used to only run Xfce so I thought maybe it's and Xfce bug or something, so I installed Gnome 3 on both systems, but the problem still persists. I read /usr/ports/UPDATING before the upgrade and nothing was there regarding this issue. The issue is as follows:

I login on Slim or GDM and then the screen is blank for a while like 3-4 minutes. Then I click on a menu like Xfce menu or try to launch a program in Gnome it hangs and the UI becomes unresponsive for a while like 1-2 minutes and I should wait till it opens. I open gedit editor click open or click on a tab then it becomes unresponsive for 1-2 minutes and so on. I don't have any idea or clue what is wrong. I have all ports updated and I use latest Nvidia binary drivers on a GTX 460 card. I even did a portupgrade -afk and nothing changed.

My whole life is in pain at both work and home due to this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind, I believe I found the issue. When I opened Gnome terminal instead of Xfce terminal, and entered ls command, after some time of hanging it gave me some error regarding ~/.gvfs folder:
Code:
.gvfs: Operation timed out

So, I inspected my gvfs ports configurations, because I usually stay away from HAL since FreeBSD has its own DEVD:
find /var/db/ports | xargs grep 'HAL'

I found out that my devel/gvfs and devel/gnome-vfs was built without HAL so I enabled the option and rebuilt them. Now, both Xfce and Gnome work just fine. I don't know what has just changed since I ran my systems without HAL for sometime and they were working just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back