slim and gnome

Hi
I have problems starting a gnome session with slim.
I know this is an often discussed subject, but I've made a lot of google search for that and tried every solutions found (mostly on archlinux or gentoo forums) and it still doesn't work.
In my .xinitrc I tried these : ck-launch gnome-session or dbus-launch gnome-session or even ck-launch dbus-launch gnome-session.
I tried all these 3 commands in my slim.conf file (with only "gnome-session" in my .xinitrc)

With the google search I finished in some forum dealing with "gnome-keyring" probleme. I tried to do what was written, just to be sure. And of course it's just let me login without password but didn't solve my problem!

I tried to write
Code:
gnome-enable="yes"
in my rc.conf file. The result is slim on tty8 and gdm on tty9, but still can't launch the gnome-session with slim !!

When I try to connect, I have 2 popup error windows. One is "could not acquire name on session dbus". On the tty0 there are some messages like :
Code:
dbus-g--proxy-new-for-name failed to connect to socket /var/tmp/dbus-****
[Gnome-session] : CRITICAL : IA--gtk-main quit : assertion 'main-loop !=NULL' failed
[Gnome-session] : CRITICAL : dbus-g-proxy-new-for-name : assertion 'connection !=NULL' failed
[Gnome-session] : CRITICAL : error getting session bus : failed to connect to socket /var/tmp/dbus-****
Of course dbus and hal are enabled in my /etc/rc.conf file.

Since it's OK if I use gdm, I tried to follow the process of gdm to see which variables are set and which process is used to launch the gnome-session. I just found that rc.d/gdm launch gdm that launch gdm-binary which is... a binary! (so don't know what it does exactly!)

If someone could help me, it would be great! :)

I haven't used Gnome in a while, but I believe you would want this in your .xinitrc

Code:
ck-launch-session gnome-session

In your /etc/rc.conf you want:

Code:
slim_enable="YES"

In your /etc/rc.conf you DO NOT want:
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"

Hey!
thanks bigtoque, it works! It was so easy. I really wonder why I never read anything about a "slim_enable" in rc.conf even on slim site (certainly because my problem was only a "slim" problem and not a "slim+gnome" problem, and in my seaches I always added "gnome" in my key words which leads me to other problems.)

So many thanks, and a quick solved topic! :e

Back