(slightly OT) Need very thin network cable

michaelrmgreen

I'm trying to extend my office network into a storage area where the walls are several FEET thick. So I'm looking for very thin and flexible ethernet cable. Anyone any good ideas? TIA

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

Go through the ceiling, which is just an inch thick? (Sorry, read a CISSP book once upon a time)

OP
michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen

>Go through the ceiling,

Wish I could. I'm actively contemplating powerline networking I'm so stuck.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

michaelrmgreen said:
I'm trying to extend my office network into a storage area where the walls are several FEET thick.
Do you work in an atomic bunker or something? :e

Djn

There are flat Cat5 cables around. I'm not sure how good they are, but it's probably a step up from "nothing".

As a random example, this.

hark

I imagine you could remove the plastic sheath from a Cat-5 cable and separate the pairs (making sure the pairs themselves remain twisted), pass the wire through the wall and then crimp it on the other side. How are you going to get any wire through the wall? Is there already an existing hole?

OP
michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen

hark said:
I imagine you could remove the plastic sheath from a Cat-5 cable and separate the pairs (making sure the pairs themselves remain twisted), pass the wire through the wall and then crimp it on the other side. How are you going to get any wire through the wall? Is there already an existing hole?

No, but there's a narrow space between the skirting board and the floor.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

How about fiber? Just the bit to get in.