Single user mode on Pi 3

I have just installed the FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-RPI.img on a Pi 3, and it is working as expected, except I cannot get into single user mode.

Is this expected?

boot -s and init 1 both fail to drop into a single user as I would expect.

On boot, it shows the boot messages up until you wold get the login prompt, and then nothing.

The keyboard responds to num & caps lock, and I can reboot with a Ctl/Alt/Del.

i had the same problem on rpi 0 (running 13.0)
it may be fixable if you play with the console option in the boot menu
in the end i hacked subr_terminal.c to force adding the console but im not sure it can't be done by changing the console to vidconsole or dual console at the boot menu
i can provide the patch if you need

It looks like you only need to change beastie_disable="YES" to beastie_disable="NO" in /boot/loader.conf to enable the menu, then you'll be able to choose your option from there, I didn't test it yet though, let us know if it works.

Following what I've said in my previous message I've been able to boot in single user mode (via a serial console) a RPI2 and RPI4, I couldn't test with RPI3 because it is currently in use but I assume that it should work as well.

# grep -in beast /boot/loader.conf
8:# Disable the beastie menu and color
9:#beastie_disable="YES"

This is working on my raspberry pi 4B. So yes, beastie_disable="NO"

I wasn't using serial, but was hoping it would work with the keyboard and HDMI screen.
I'll try the beastie suggestion and see if it changes things.

I wasn't using serial, but was hoping it would work with the keyboard and HDMI screen.
I'll try the beastie suggestion and see if it changes things.
It should work as well from a traditional monitor and keyboard, it just was more convenient for me for the tests but you should be fine doing it without a serial console.

This wasn't the solution that eventually worked for me.

This image is using uboot and uefi and I just noticed a message "Dual Console: Serial Primary, Video Secondary"
Further digging led here which offered more clues.

/boot/loader.conf had boot_serial set to "YES"

updated to boot_serial="NO"

With no console= line, Dual Console is now Video Primary, Serial Secondary and single user mode works.

Back