Solved Shutdown/Reboot as a user

Hi folks,
I am using FreeBSD 10 with xfce4 desktop environment on HP/Compaq 6910p notebook. I am facing problem in shutting down and reboot as a user. I also couldn't find battery status while charging or discharging status. While all of above do quite well as a root user. I also tried to edit PolicyKit.conf but in vain.

Thanks in Advance for any guidance. Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Shutdown/Reboot as a user

Did you follow these instructions?

Code:
dice@molly:~ % pkg info -D xfce4-session
xfce4-session-4.10.1_2:
To be able to shutdown or reboot your system, you'll have to add a .pkla file
in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d directory. Which looks
like this (replace PUTYOURGROUPHERE by your group):

[Restart]
Identity=unix-group:PUTYOURGROUPHERE
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Shutdown]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

For those who have working suspend/resume:

[Suspend]
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.suspend
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

After making changes to this file you have to restart DBUS and log out and in again for the changes to activate. Or simply reboot.

Battery status I think is done by sysutils/xfce4-power-manager. I'm not sure but it's possible it's not installed automatically with x11-wm/xfce4. You should be able to add it without problems.

In addition to the entries in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla, xfce must be started with ConsoleKit support:
startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

Thanks to all folks. I am feeling much happy with forum. All of you are much helping. Thanks again.

I hate to bring this up again since it is marked solved (although in the original posters final post we aren't told if the problem was solved, only that the poster is happy with the forum), but the solution is not working for me.

Briefly, I've done everything in the thread, including the final startxfce4 --with-ck-launch and only the logout button is enabled (not grey) -- as it was before this long descent into polkit-land ;-). I assume all of this is for security reasons and am not complaining, but it is ironic that the window manager we choose for its simplicity turns out to have an unbelievably complex procedure for allowing itself and the OS to be shut down (and one which for me still doesn't work, although I can live with the two-step process of logging out of Xfce (which also shuts X11 down) and then shutting the system down from the console).

SirDice said:
After making changes to this file you have to restart DBUS and log out and in again for the changes to activate. Or simply reboot.

Hello SirDice!

How should I proceed to add or create file .pkla in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d directory? And replace PUTYOURGROUPHERE by your group?

Example:

Code:
[Restart]
Identity=unix-group:  UTYOURGROUPHERE
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

I hate to bring this up again since it is marked solved (although in the original posters final post we aren't told if the problem was solved, only that the poster is happy with the forum), but the solution is not working for me.

Briefly, I've done everything in the thread, including the final startxfce4 --with-ck-launch and only the logout button is enabled (not grey) -- as it was before this long descent into polkit-land ;-). I assume all of this is for security reasons and am not complaining, but it is ironic that the window manager we choose for its simplicity turns out to have an unbelievably complex procedure for allowing itself and the OS to be shut down (and one which for me still doesn't work, although I can live with the two-step process of logging out of Xfce (which also shuts X11 down) and then shutting the system down from the console).

Identical situation and identical feelings :)

LOL🤣

Add
Code:
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -r now 
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -p now

to your sudoers file.
Bada bing, bada boom.

tedbell

Bada bing, bada boom I do not use sudo.

what I did to fixed this on my Lenovo ThinkPad T550 was this

Edit # nano /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/50-default.rules
and added the following to the file save and rebooted and it worked. Now I can reboot and shutdown on xfce4 as a regular user " Bada bing, bada boom. " :cool:

Code:
polkit.addRule(function (action, subject) {
  if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart" ||
      action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop")
      && subject.isInGroup("operator")) {
    return polkit.Result.YES;
  }
});

polkit.addRule(function (action, subject) {
  if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.suspend"
      && subject.isInGroup("operator")) {
    return polkit.Result.YES;
  }
});

});

Back