Solved Should I write all of my scripts in JavaScript?

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
I’m sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn’t talking about Perl6 / Raku, but about the switch from Perl4 to Perl5.
Exactly. The Perl devs learned the right lesson from the Perl 4 -> 5 fiasco, and never inflicted similar pain on their community again.

Well, the latest release of MoinMoin (1.9) is 2 years old. The development version that is going to be released as MoinMoin 2.0 indeed supports Python3, as does the upcoming version 1.5.2 of Trac.
Both of which have been in the works for years without nearing release. Look also at https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-April/118397.html

I’m sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn’t talking about Perl6 / Raku, but about the switch from Perl4 to Perl5.

Yeah I did assume it must have been a past major change because we have been at Perl 5 for a long while now.
I am possibly wrong in this but I feel that Perl is now past the teething stage. Some projects never really get past this stage and keep teething throughout their whole life. I hope Python is not one of these because we are pushing loads of young developers towards it these days and unlike veterans, these guys are going to be absolutely baffled by the constant breakage.

Well, the latest release of MoinMoin (1.9) is 2 years old. The development version that is going to be released as MoinMoin 2.0 indeed supports Python3, as does the upcoming version 1.5.2 of Trac.

It was mainly their statement on their wiki which didn't fill me with confidence:

Moin 1.9.x does not support Python 3.x and only works with Python 2.7.x (and we won't port it to py3).
Moin 2.0 (which is still not released and development is very slow-going) is based on Python 3.5+.

Basically it felt like they were encouraging me to go with Python 2. In the end I moved to a different software entirely.

Either way, I don't feel too strongly between Perl or Python. CPAN and PIP respectively annoy me too much XD

Exactly. The Perl devs learned the right lesson from the Perl 4 -> 5 fiasco, and never inflicted similar pain on their community again.
There was no “fiasco”. Perl did evolve, and in the end most users agreed that the changes were right, even though they required adapting existing Perl4 scripts so they could work with Perl5.
Python is just the same, and people really had a very, very long time to adapt to Python3.

I think it’s much more annoying that certain pieces of software requires me to change configuration files like three times per year. The last major update of mail/dovecot was definitely more annoying than adapting a bunch of Python scripts, for example. For the latter, the automatic „2to3“ tool does most of the work anyway.

On a fresh FreeBSD system, created by ezjail (ezjail is my test environment), there is no /usr/local. Keep in mind I didn't have pkg installed and the ports tree, too, since I will replace them with ravensw and ravenports to create my own customized distro of FreeBSD. pkg installs into /usr/local but ravensw installs to /raven. I want ldconfig to include /raven/lib into it searth path, via the service /etc/rc.d/ldconfig that runs on every boot of the system, not by the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. My change will be global: removed /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/bin from PATH completely but replace them with /raven/sbin and /raven/bin. So ask me to use a per user configuration like kpedersen said is not a solution for me.
Update: It seemed /usr/local/libdata was created when pkg is installed.

About Lua, I already know about the language for a long time and even tried to learn it. It's when I'm still on Windows and I'm learning Lua with the Zerobrane IDE. Regardless of how I liked the language, I can't even make a single Lua program that works. Then I gave up. I don't even know why I failed. I only know the language is weirded to me. And I came back to Java.

About Lua, I already know about the language for a long time and even tried to learn it. It's when I'm still on Windows and I'm learning Lua with the Zerobrane IDE. Regardless of how I liked the language, I can't even make a single Lua program that works. Then I gave up. I don't even know why I failed. I only know the language is weirded to me. And I came back to Java.
Usually, if you come back to something years later, it will be easier, more understandable or manageable. Some things are difficult, and even though we don't realize we made progress, because the curve was high, later on, after a lot of time off, you'll realize you got something out of it. Maybe not even for Lua, but to be applied to something else.

Back