shared object "libcrypto.so.7" not found

By default, updates do not install automatically. Usually you need to run
Code:
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

It is possible those commands are run automatically in the /etc/crontab file, set up by the previous admin, but otherwise the updates would be handled manually by the admin.

FreeBSD doesn't install updates by default. Generally FreeBSD sticks to the idea of POLA, short for principle of least astonishment. Since doing something you didn't ask for could be considered a surprise then it doesn't happen.

You'll want to take a a look at the Handbook chapter on FreeBSD Update.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE is also coming up on end of life soon. The freebsd-update fetch; freebsd-update install process applies security patches without changing the release. The freebsd-update -r 10.1-RELEASE upgrade command would do a version bump but has a bit more steps. You'll most likely want to install 10.0-RELEASE in a VM and go through the steps before updating. There is a bit of manual work to merge config files with a text editor to upgrade to 10.1-RELEASE. It's a fairly easy process if you are used to it but if you aren't it can be a bit odd at first.
http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup

Once you update, FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE is supported for security updates until Dec 31, 2016 so you things will be easier. Generally you'll want to use the cron argument to download updates at night and install them on your own schedule. Here is an example I use that I added using crontab -e to add it to my root user's schedule jobs. Normally, that is preferred over adding it to the system /etc/crontab although a prior admin may have done so.
Code:
30      5       *       *       tue,sat /usr/sbin/freebsd-update cron

To answer your earlier question, freebsd-update IDS is good to run in multi user mode. Mostly it's stuff dealing with disks where it's best to be in single user mode.

Back