Share your preferred bsd or linux distribution which is not FreeBSD.

Mostly i boot FreeBSD.
But second preferred is artix-linux. [Arch without systemd]
For printing i'm forced to use MX-linux(debian), only drivers for my brother printer.
What is your distro ?

Reactions: _al
My will of using linux distros reduced after I met with FreeBSD but I would say Arch Linux as my preferred Linux distro. It's package manager pacman has parallel download support and it is fast and archinstall script makes it easier to install Arch Linux.

I struggle to find a Linux distribution that I can use myself and recommend to people who want to try Linux.

Debian is not beginner friendly. Ubuntu does too many crazy things for my own use, disabling too much of my workflow. I started targeting Mint, which takes back some of Ubuntu's less sane decisions. Looks nice so far. But there is an instant obstacle right there that they only do full-GUI installs with lots of disk space used. Why? There also is the issue of stock ZFS availability or not.

It's another reason why I am annoyed at Linux in general. All these dozens of distributions and nothing that I can recommend and use myself? Come on.

There are no BSD "distributions". You really should know that by now. I use Open- Net- and (obv.) FreeBSD.

I'm unreasonably fond of the couple of Void Linux installs I have.

At home, my server is FreeBSD. It was OpenBSD until about 10 years ago. If OpenBSD had ZFS, I would probably go back to OpenBSD.

At work, I've used both RHEL and Debian on servers. I emotionally prefer RHEL, but that's mostly because I've been familiar with it for 15 or 20 years. I'm not unhappy with Debian, it just sometimes feels strange. If I did a lot of Linux administration, I would probably become happy with it. Occasionally, I run on a SLES or Ubuntu machine, but I've never had to administer them, nor was I a heavy user. They seem to work fine.

At home I also have a handful of Raspberry Pi machines, which all run their Debian version. Again, it works, and I'm actually quite happy with systemd: it works well, once you shed your preconceptions.

My daily driver (the machine on my lap right now, and the machine on the desk in the upstairs office) are all Macintoshes. I used to use Windows machines as my laptops, and was not too angry at them; but on Windows, many UI actions seem unnatural or needlessly compels. I rarely use a GUI on any free OS, although for a few months I had a Linux laptop (running Gnome on Debian) as my daily driver. Hated it. As soon as I found a good sale on a MacBook, I replaced it. I also occasionally use KDE on Raspbian, and while it is less bad than Gnome, I don't like it either. In the late 90s and early 2000s, I actually used a Linux machine as a desktop (this was before laptops were viable), using Mozilla as a browser and FVWM as a window manager. It worked, for the requirements of the simpler times back then; but a professionally created and curated GUI works so much better. I remember sometime in the early 2000s going drinking at a conference (Usenix?) with Miguel de Icaza, and he got really mad when I told him how much I disliked Gnome. So I went to drink with some file system people, and he went to have fun elsewhere.

In my daily work (besides FreeBSD and Windows) I use Debian (since 2011, starting with 6.x, “squeeze”). Currently using Debian 12.

I use Fedora with Gnome and systemd on my work laptop. It works incredibly well. I've been using Fedora for quite some time now, and it has been a great choice for me. Major version upgrades are twice per year, and very rarely break anything really bad. This minor risk is a price I'm happy to pay for up-to-date software.

At work we are a RHEL shop and we're not really supposed to be using anything other than RHEL or Windows installed and administered by our IT people, but those are such poor choices for a developer laptop that my supervisors just looked the other way when I installed my own thing. And recently our new group leader has actually been encouraging everyone to use Fedora.

None.
I was strongly missing this statement, so I couldn't resist to post mine.

I exclusively run FreeBSD only on all my machines: desktop, laptop, server,
with and without GUI.
For about almost seven years by now.

I never had any Linux in production.
I switched (better "transformed" within two years) from Windows to FreeBSD, completely.

I may have had a peek on OpenBSD, but since they decided to have X and xfce to be installed by default I lost interest.
Don't get me wrong.
To me from all DEs xfce is one if not the best.
But I figured out years ago I neither want nor need a DE.
WM only is what satisfies me.
Slaving over a jungle of XML-bs of several DEs until I learned I wanted them all stripped down to their bare WM.
That's bs.
Better pick, start, and learn to configure a pure WM in the first place (you find way more as you need under FreeBSD.)
Then your search for the perfect machine comes to an end.
Then you get your machine exactly the way you wants it to be,
without compromising, and tolerate others needs.

At the first glance this looks as the hard way.
That's why I also fumbled around years with several DEs, and took peeks at different Linux distros, too.
Nothing really satisfied me completely, until I learned:
"Pick a WM, and get into it!"
In the retroperspective it would have been wasted less energy, and time.

For example I neither have no waste-paper basket, nor any file-manager anymore.
Don't need it.
I have a shell.
Knowing to use it properly including having a reasonable backup strategy, knew a bit about macros within your text-editor, and a bit of shell scripting, I don't need any.
They shell is way more quicker, more powerful, and most efficient as any of those mouse shover tools.

Okay, I admit, I am in the lucky situation that I don't depend on using some certain Windows only software.
As long as all what I need to do is based on files of a format FreeBSD tools can handle, to me there is no need to use anything else.
And I'm happy I made this step.

Of course one need to learn other tools, even more new ways to think - clearer, more logical, comprehensable, intuitive ways.
Need to learn to think Unix.
Not to transform Unix into another kind of Windows,
because that's all what you've seen before, so you believe Windows is reference.
Wrong.
Unix is.
Unix was, and always will be.

It pays in the long term;
by independency, freedom, and more efficient work on the computer.
Instead of Windows they don't change with every major upgrade, so you don't have to learn many things over and over again, only because you are forced to switch to the new Windows version.
(ubuntu, and others are similar.)

Okay, I also reduced gaming - unavoidably.
But this ain't a bad thing.
Less gaming gives me more time for programming, or digging deeper into FreeBSD.

For anything else there are emulators and VMs.
Playing games from the mid 1990s on VirtualBox... - but hey, MOO II or HOMM III are great games!

Participating this forums for quite a while makes me believe nobody runs no system natively on a hardware directly anymore.

In my Windows days of course I had Linux live systems - one cannot run a Windows reasonably without it, at least not in those days.
I don't know today's Windows. I stopped using this annoying crap with 7.
Still then Windows lacked of everything in my eyes is needed to be named a real OS.
In my eyes Windows is a game-launcher.
The fact that app. 90% of all computers use it for anything does not prove the opposite.
It just proves 90% of all computer users are either stupid, or too lazy to gain their freedom.

As cracauer@ outlined, with Linux you either chose some turn-key distro and face similar annoying, unsatisfactory shings (shit + things) as with MS Windows,
or you have to spent way more energy and nerves to set up a system that works satisfactory the way you want it
as if you start directly with FreeBSD in the first place - and need to cross fingers there will be no sudden update knocking everthing down you built-up patiently.

To me Linux offers nothing I cannot have under FreeBSD.
Plus I had to deal with Linux,
which to me ain't no feature but a burden.
dd

To me Linux is like a flatshare:
Everbody wants to be the great chef doing the magic at the stove within a clean kitchen.
But nobody condescends himself to clean up the chaos afterwards.
Worse luck 80% about cooking is cleaning.
Those who don't want to face that fact end up with pizza delivery because their kitchen is unusable.

To me Linux is not for production but for nerds who don't actually need to use a computer.
In my eyes they believe they do, but they spent most of their time to make and keep things running
mixing this up with actually using the machine.

If the whole system runs smoothly they get nervous, feel unsatisfied.
So they tinker with it until something breaks.
Then they are happy again, cause now they have something to repair, to do again.

I call those conky watchers.
I once was a conky watcher myself.
Until I asked myself for what I need to be shown permanently all my storage has way more as enough capacity free, all CPU-cores running cool at 3% by a tool which itself is a load to the system, being a real burden if configured to show too many things too frequently.
Either you have sufficient capacities and power on your machine, or you don't.

I think when Microsoft started to see it similar
they stopped worrying about Linux, and started to support them.
Because this highly experimental playground develops many, many useful things, unasked and unpayed.
They bought github.
(Everyone who knew a bit of MS's history was bit careful about it.)

But of course as cracauer@ also pointed out:
FreeBSD is nothing for the average, common, stupid user, without having a root by his side.
Apple, Microsoft, and by then also Linux teached them:
"You don't need to learn anything about computers to use them."
It's a trap.
Accommodativeness leads to laziness.
Laziness leads to avoidance.
Avoidance leads to stop learning.
And this leads into dependency.
Then the milking starts.

Participating this forums surprises me every couple of days again,
how much energy some summon to turn FreeBSD into some other kind of Linux, or worse Windows,
instead of learning the very cool, smart, clever, neat, efficient, and well-thought-out concepts of real Unix, served on a silver platter with BSD.

I know there will be many contradicting opinions if not aggressive behaviour against this mine post,
but as I said I felt the urge to post mine for FreeBSD.

On my Laptop at work I use Void with ZFS. Although it's a rolling release distribution it proved to be very stable. I like Void's simplicity and the runit init system. At home I prefer FreeBSD on my main laptop.

On the server side I used Centos for several years. With RedHat dumping Centos in its original form, I turn to FreeBSD whenever possible. When a Linux server is required, I install Debian nowadays.

Not sure why I see so many people mentioning Arch, which is systemd-infested. I also like the Arch Linux concept, but really prefer the systemd-free variety, which is Artix Linux. You have a choice of init there: OpenRC, runit, S6 or dinit are available. I have been running a desktop with Artix (OpenRC) since 2018. Some fun with updates (as on Arch) but very stable in operation.

Still, I prefer FreeBSD where ever possible.

It's another reason why I am annoyed at Linux in general. All these dozens of distributions and nothing that I can recommend and use myself? Come on.

I mean, they're all the same system. Just with different "philosophy sprinkles" on top to justify the fragmentation. Linux just can't be fixed; it's inherently broken.

If you want to make a living in government or the larger corporations as software developer, or in operating system support, then RHEL is the clear winner.

At home, my favourite Linux is Debian because of community strength and the emphasis on stability.

I have always been curious about Proxmox Virtual Environment, but never used it. I'm wondering if Proxmox will get a boost off the back of Broadcom's cash grab with VMware.

My preferred Gnu/Linux distros are Slackware and Gentoo (but it's being a while since I last boot a Linux kernel).
My preferred BSD's OS's are OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
I mainly use FreeBSD in desktops and laptops and OpenBSD in my homelab/backup server.

None.
I was strongly missing this statement, so I couldn't resist to post mine.

with and without GUI.
For about almost seven years by now.

I never had any Linux in production.
I switched (better "transformed" within two years) from Windows to FreeBSD, completely.

I may have had a peek on OpenBSD, but since they decided to have X and xfce to be installed by default I lost interest.
Don't get me wrong.
To me from all DEs xfce is one if not the best.
But I figured out years ago I neither want nor need a DE.
WM only is what satisfies me.
Slaving over a jungle of XML-bs of several DEs until I learned I wanted them all stripped down to their bare WM.
That's bs.
Better pick, start, and learn to configure a pure WM in the first place (you find way more as you need under FreeBSD.)
Then your search for the perfect machine comes to an end.
Then you get your machine exactly the way you wants it to be,
without compromising, and tolerate others needs.

At the first glance this looks as the hard way.
That's why I also fumbled around years with several DEs, and took peeks at different Linux distros, too.
Nothing really satisfied me completely, until I learned:
"Pick a WM, and get into it!"
In the retroperspective it would have been wasted less energy, and time.

For example I neither have no waste-paper basket, nor any file-manager anymore.
Don't need it.
I have a shell.
Knowing to use it properly including having a reasonable backup strategy, knew a bit about macros within your text-editor, and a bit of shell scripting, I don't need any.
They shell is way more quicker, more powerful, and most efficient as any of those mouse shover tools.

Okay, I admit, I am in the lucky situation that I don't depend on using some certain Windows only software.
As long as all what I need to do is based on files of a format FreeBSD tools can handle, to me there is no need to use anything else.
And I'm happy I made this step.

Of course one need to learn other tools, even more new ways to think - clearer, more logical, comprehensable, intuitive ways.
Need to learn to think Unix.
Not to transform Unix into another kind of Windows,
because that's all what you've seen before, so you believe Windows is reference.
Wrong.
Unix is.

Instead of Windows they don't change with every major upgrade, so you don't have to learn many things over and over again, only because you are forced to switch to the new Windows version.
(ubuntu, and others are similar.)

Okay, I also reduced gaming - unavoidably.
But this ain't a bad thing.
Less gaming gives me more time for programming, or digging deeper into FreeBSD.

Playing games from the mid 1990s on VirtualBox... - but hey, MOO II or HOMM III are great games!

Participating this forums for quite a while makes me believe nobody runs no system natively on a hardware directly anymore.

In my Windows days of course I had Linux live systems - one cannot run a Windows reasonably without it, at least not in those days.
I don't know today's Windows. I stopped using this annoying crap with 7.
Still then Windows lacked of everything in my eyes is needed to be named a real OS.
In my eyes Windows is a game-launcher.
The fact that app. 90% of all computers use it for anything does not prove the opposite.
It just proves 90% of all computer users are either stupid, or too lazy to gain their freedom.

As cracauer@ outlined, with Linux you either chose some turn-key distro and face similar annoying, unsatisfactory shings (shit + things) as with MS Windows,
or you have to spent way more energy and nerves to set up a system that works satisfactory the way you want it
as if you start directly with FreeBSD in the first place - and need to cross fingers there will be no sudden update knocking everthing down you built-up patiently.

To me Linux offers nothing I cannot have under FreeBSD.
Plus I had to deal with Linux,
which to me ain't no feature but a burden.
dd

To me Linux is like a flatshare:
Everbody wants to be the great chef doing the magic at the stove within a clean kitchen.
But nobody condescends himself to clean up the chaos afterwards.
Worse luck 80% about cooking is cleaning.
Those who don't want to face that fact end up with pizza delivery because their kitchen is unusable.

To me Linux is not for production but for nerds who don't actually need to use a computer.
In my eyes they believe they do, but they spent most of their time to make and keep things running
mixing this up with actually using the machine.

If the whole system runs smoothly they get nervous, feel unsatisfied.
So they tinker with it until something breaks.
Then they are happy again, cause now they have something to repair, to do again.

I call those conky watchers.
I once was a conky watcher myself.
Until I asked myself for what I need to be shown permanently all my storage has way more as enough capacity free, all CPU-cores running cool at 3% by a tool which itself is a load to the system, being a real burden if configured to show too many things too frequently.
Either you have sufficient capacities and power on your machine, or you don't.

I think when Microsoft started to see it similar
they stopped worrying about Linux, and started to support them.
Because this highly experimental playground develops many, many useful things, unasked and unpayed.
They bought github.
(Everyone who knew a bit of MS's history was bit careful about it.)

But of course as cracauer@ also pointed out:
FreeBSD is nothing for the average, common, stupid user, without having a root by his side.
Apple, Microsoft, and by then also Linux teached them:
"You don't need to learn anything about computers to use them."
It's a trap.
Accommodativeness leads to laziness.
Laziness leads to avoidance.
Avoidance leads to stop learning.
And this leads into dependency.
Then the milking starts.

Participating this forums surprises me every couple of days again,
how much energy some summon to turn FreeBSD into some other kind of Linux, or worse Windows,
instead of learning the very cool, smart, clever, neat, efficient, and well-thought-out concepts of real Unix, served on a silver platter with BSD.

I know there will be many contradicting opinions if not aggressive behaviour against this mine post,
but as I said I felt the urge to post mine for FreeBSD.
I greed with almost everything besides this part:
and xfce to be installed by default I lost interest
AFAIK OBSD only ships with cwm, fvwm and twm, xfce need to be installed via meta/xfce port.

with and without GUI.
Unix is.

Well, I would 100% agree with you, but...
The modern laptops' hardware is not well supported by FreeBSD. I'm running FreeBSD on my old Xeon E5-1650 v3 desktop (with a few VMs), on 2 older Thinkpads and on 3 VPS. but I have to run Debian (without systemd) on my HP Zbook G9.
I had to replace the WIFi module in one of the Thinkpads (not perfect, but acceptable solution), but the lack of support of SOF/DMIC (sound open firmware / digital mic etc.) in FreeBSD is simply not acceptable nowadays.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention FreeBSD running on a BeagleBone Black which controls my irrigation system.

openSUSE Tumbleweed and Fedora. I only use Debian on the Raspberry Pi. I never use the same distro/OS on more than one computer.

I would use OpenBSD only for firewall but the one provided by my ISP is enough.

Currently use Garuda Linux (an Arch variant) on this laptop and a desktop. FreeBSD resides on my servers.

What can I tell you, my favorite complete system for daily use is Linux Mint Xfce 64-bit because it is stable and very up to date all its software, unlike other systems that are based on quarterly software, making the system insecure and unstable for day to day use.

Back