sh & .xinitrc

.xinitrc itself it a sh script, so you either specify full path to script you want to exec, or simply add line with name of script (depending if script is in one of $PATH directories).... before you exec your window manager.

you could just put your needed lines into .xinitrc, e.g. like my .xinitrc is
Code:
setxkbmap -layout us,ru -option grp:rctrl_toggle,grp_led:caps
for path in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/* ~/.fonts/*; do xset +fp $path; xset fp rehash
ion3 &
firefox3 &
gajim
disclaimer: i do now that i can edit all fonts and layouts things via xorg.conf; i just don't like editing system config files if i can live without doing it.

One can always compile Xorg without HAL support.

But xorg.conf is not deprecated at all when you need to customize your setup, e.g. have a very specific set of display modes, set DPMS options, set keyboard/mouse options, configure 2D/3D acceleration and the dozens of available options, etc.
Many of these cannot be passed to Xserver from command-line. Removing support for xorg.conf completely would be THE most stupid decision ever made by the X.Org foundation.

It isn't. But some people consider it to be useless because xinit/startx can run the Xserver successfully without one or because they are happy with the defaults.
In some cases, none of these conditions are met, so the file should never be deprecated.

if i have this file: gputemp.sh
Inside this file i have this line:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp |grep '):' | cut -d ' ' -f 6,6 | sed -e 's/.\{1\}$//'
what i suppose to write on .xinitrc?

The third line?

Anyway what does nvidia-settings do? It seems to be a monitoring command (that reports the GPU temperature?) or something. What's the point of having that in .xinitrc?

Yeap :) My conky horizontal bar is full of data and i want to send some scripts to dwm bar.So i was wondering if i can put gpu temp there.Now my dwm bar has only date & time

@sk8harddiefast: It might be more useful to run conky in your .xinitrc and put the nvidia-settings command in your conkyrc.

the problem is that conky is moving :(
so if is completely full my conky bar,when i am doing something and my cpu going from 1% to 100 % all conky is moving and some data that they are on the end of my screen,then are out of my screen :(
An alternative is to make conky stop moving.But how?

When you say "end of my screen" do you mean the right edge or bottom edge? I had a similar problem with things moving left and right when the # of characters increased and decreased ("1%" being 2 chars and "100%" being 4 chars).

What I ended up doing was keeping all numbers on the far right of each line, and keeping all numbers that could change on separate lines. If that isn't clear enough, I can post a screetshot of the script.

i mean that if i had dual monitor i could see the rest of the line :)
or if my screen was not 1920x1200 but 1950x1200!
the last is the temparure of my nvidia.But sows like that:
Nvidia:GForce 8800GTX,Tem| and here is the end of my screen!
Tem is the half temprature!The other is gone for holidays somewhere on space out of the planet of 1920x1200 of my screen :p

First thing I would do is play with the gap_x and gap_y numbers in your conkyrc for positioning.

There are different border parameters. Change them one at a time to see which one makes the difference.

Back