sh shell, "~" instead "insert, pageup, pagedown"

How about you give some more information about this? Also, we are not a school yard, writing proper sentences does not hurt you here. Quite the opposite.

How about you give some more information about this? Also, we are not a school yard, writing proper sentences does not hurt you here. Quite the opposite.
Ok. I whant ask. I am try use bsd after some linux experience. Why bsd is SO UNPOLISHED and have many issues compare to linux? All time i need something repair, fixing, etc. Bsd is very hard use as desktop.

deepforest Talking like this does not get you anything here but the ban hammer. This is not Linux, not a linux forum, and not even linux users en mass. Acting like a 5 year old will get you the treatment some unruly 5 year old will get.

freebsd 14.1
how2fix? pls help.
There are a lot of things you haven't described. Like, are you running FreeBSD on native hardware, so you are pressing PgUp and PgDn on the physical keyboard of the physical console of the machine? Or did you put FreeBSD on a system, then ssh to that system, and find that PgUp and PgDn don't work?

You haven't said what you expect to happen. I get it that ~ isn't what you expected to see. But is there some system you've used in the past where it does what you expect? (You mention "linux" but there are HUNDREDS of linuxes and they behave differently. It's not like every Linux console behaves the same way with PgUp and PgDn, either).

The first thing to help you out is probably to install bash (pkg install bash) and then change your user shell to bash (chsh). That's one thing that will make it a bit more linux-like. If I knew whether you were on the text console or using a GUI, maybe I could get into something like PgUp and PgDn.

Why is BSD to unpolished compared to "linux"? Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with Linux, either. Because there are stripped-down, "unpolished" linux distributions that are even less usable than a base FreeBSD system. They have different purposes. Not every operating system (or distribution) is meant to be all things to all people, and even when it CAN be a polished desktop experience, many are not a polished desktop experience out of the box.

But the level of effort you're putting into getting help (barely typing coherent sentences, much less describing the situation) asks other people to put in WAY more work fixing your problem than you're putting in describing it. Don't be surprised if you don't get much help that way. Who has time to donate to someone who can't bother writing out a question?

For years my wife didn't know she was using BSD on "the house computer" (we also had a "house phone" too). BSD is fun, and easy too; if you are not afraid to actually read. ...Oh?! sorry, I better keep with the spirit of the thread.

BDS is weird! Fix the shell and SH to.

FreeBSD users (*BSD in general) are very experienced users (not me). Usually new users on this forum have experience with the basic concepts of Unix and derivatives. These concepts are quite common in both Linux and *BSD since the root is the same. Asking a question about how to do basic operations such as trying to change the shell or setting it, seems a bit childish.
Don't take my words as an offense, but if you read a few posts here, the first thing that someone reading your post would want to know, before giving you an answer, is the system version and what type of shell you are using, since there are several and since what you are asking is related to the shell you are using. In any case, the more information you give, the better. This is also due to the fact that since version 14, the default shell in FreeBSD has changed from csh to sh. These two shells have different configurations for key bindings. Give you an immediate answer is not easy.

I am switch to
Code:
chsh -s /bin/tcsh
because default sh have no working subshell for mc

edit /home/freeartist-bsd/.cshrc
Code:
if ($?prompt) then
        # An interactive shell -- set some stuff up
        set prompt = "%N@%m:%~ %# "
        set promptchars = "%#"

set filec
        set history = 1000
        set savehist = (1000 merge)
        set autolist = ambiguous
        # Use history to aid expansion
        set autoexpand
        set autorehash
        set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)
        if ( $?tcsh ) then
                bindkey "^W" backward-delete-word
                bindkey -k up history-search-backward
                bindkey -k down history-search-forward
                bindkey "\e[1~" beginning-of-line # Home
        bindkey "\e[7~" beginning-of-line # Home rxvt
        bindkey "\e[2~" overwrite-mode    # Ins
        bindkey "\e[3~" delete-char       # Delete
        bindkey "\e[4~" end-of-line       # End
        bindkey "\e[8~" end-of-line       # End rxvt
        bindkey "\e[5~" beginning-of-history # PageUp
        bindkey "\e[6~" end-of-history # PageDown
        endif

endif
but no success
Code:
Bad command name: beginning-of-history
Bad command name: end-of-history
freeartist-bsd@home:~ % ~~~~~~~~~~~

ok and what action i can bind to pgup-pgdown here?
or what shell you can suggest for mc(ctr+o working subshell) and working home, delete, pgup, pgdown?

deepforest See, we are making progress here. I think you are using the text screen (vt), not X11. Even in X11, pgup/gpdown do not do anything by themselves. You need to press Shift as well to scroll in an xterm. Under the FreeBSD vt interface you need to scroll lock first, then you can use pgup/pgdown to scroll. This comes from the original vt100/vt220 terminals. So, do you use X11 or the text console?

Under the FreeBSD vt interface you need to scroll lock first,
Additional note:
Usually, full keyboards for desktops and servers would have dedicated ScrLck (scroll lock) key. But unfortunately, quite, quite and quite unfortunately, notebooks (yes, even recent ThinkPads!) dropped the key and mapped it into Fn+B (Fn key and "B" key at the same time) for my case, and as far as I know, some maps it into Fn+K. Maybe some more others.
You should carefully read your hardware manual carefully. Its usually hard to find.

Also i am not native english speaker.
I'm Japanese, which would be one of the worst English learner in the world (as a race). But I'm here. ;) Reading/Writing is far more easy for us in contrast with hearing. Can you believe that many of (non-young) Japanese is not at all good at hearing "L" and "R", and sometimes frighten restaurant staffs "A plate of lice please.". Of course he/she want to say "A plate of rice please.". Just having no habit to distinguish "L" and "R". If you're not a Japanese, you should be already at much better level to communicate in English than Japanese ones.

This thread reminds me of a favourite image. Enjoy.

Attachments

• OS-Kitchens.png
    OS-Kitchens.png
    840.7 KB · Views: 28
I am switch to
Code:
chsh -s /bin/tcsh
because default sh have no working subshell for mc

edit /home/freeartist-bsd/.cshrc
Code:
if ($?prompt) then
        # An interactive shell -- set some stuff up
        set prompt = "%N@%m:%~ %# "
        set promptchars = "%#"

set filec
        set history = 1000
        set savehist = (1000 merge)
        set autolist = ambiguous
        # Use history to aid expansion
        set autoexpand
        set autorehash
        set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)
        if ( $?tcsh ) then
                bindkey "^W" backward-delete-word
                bindkey "\e[1~" beginning-of-line # Home
        bindkey "\e[7~" beginning-of-line # Home rxvt
        bindkey "\e[2~" overwrite-mode    # Ins
        bindkey "\e[3~" delete-char       # Delete
        bindkey "\e[4~" end-of-line       # End
        bindkey "\e[8~" end-of-line       # End rxvt
        bindkey "\e[5~" beginning-of-history # PageUp
        bindkey "\e[6~" end-of-history # PageDown
        endif

endif
but no success
Code:
Bad command name: beginning-of-history
Bad command name: end-of-history
freeartist-bsd@home:~ % ~~~~~~~~~~~
Just use this:

Code:
#!/bin/tcsh

if ( -d /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin ) then
    setenv PATH /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin:$PATH
else if ( -d /usr/local/bin ) then
    setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:$PATH
else if ( -d /usr/bin ) then
    setenv PATH /usr/bin:$PATH
endif

setenv TERM xterm-256color
setenv EDITOR vim
setenv HISTSIZE 1000
setenv HISTFILESIZE 1000

if ($?prompt) then
    set prompt="%{\e[1;32m%}%n@%m %{\e[1;34m%}%~ %{\e[1;31m%}> %{\e[0m%}"
    set promptchars="%#"
    set filec
    set history=1000
    set savehist=(1000 merge)
    set autolist=ambiguous
    set autoexpand
    set autorehash
    set mail=(/var/mail/$USER)
    set correct
    set showallifambiguous
    set completionignorecase

alias safe_cd 'if ( $#argv != 1 ) echo "Usage: safe_cd <directory>"; else if ( -d $1 ) cd $1; else echo "$1 is not a valid directory."'

if ($?tcsh) then
        bindkey ^W backward-delete-word
        bindkey -k home beginning-of-line
        bindkey -k end end-of-line
        bindkey "\e[2~" overwrite-mode
        bindkey "\e[3~" delete-char
        alias ll 'ls -alF'
        alias .. 'safe_cd ..'
        alias ... 'safe_cd ../..'
        alias c 'clear'