Other Setting up a zpool for IOCAGE

Hi,
Please assist. I am testing freebsd 12 with vmware. Initial space with installation is 50 gb. I then later added 30gb. I am having trouble mounting this extra space where i want the zpool must go where i must install iocage.

1547056669837.png

What must i type in gpart to mount that extra 30gb as i just cant get it right.

Tx.

Rudi

You have UFS, not ZFS, so there is no zpool. And you used the old MBR/bsdlabel partitioning scheme. Still possible to add a freebsd-zfs partition but your foundation is already a bit flaky in my opinion. While it's possible to have a mix of UFS and ZFS on the same disk I would recommend against it. So I'd actually recommend a fresh install and start with a proper GPT and ZFS configuration.

If you want to keep the OS on UFS and add a ZFS pool for storing data it's probably a better solution to add another disk instead of enlarging the existing one. With ZFS using the full disk you can easily extend it from VMWare and have ZFS automatically resize itself accordingly.

Hi Sir Dice.
Tx for the assist. I will pay close attention when i do the clean install again of freebsd and select gpt, zfs conf. Then i will retry what i have been doing and get back to you.
Rudi

It's not entirely wrong, you can use the original UFS/MBR installation for the OS itself. But instead of enlarging the OS disk, add an additional (virtual) disk to it. Use that 'extra' disk to create the ZFS pool. That way you also get a nice division between your OS and data (that's always good). That will make it a lot easier to reinstall the OS for example without touching your precious data (disconnect the data disk, destroy the 'old' OS disk, create a new one, install FreeBSD, re-attach the data disk and be done in time for lunch).

Thats sounds like a nice idea. It gives me time to further learn how to install everything without starting from scratch. Tx SiDice.

Hi SirDice,
tx for the assist, but i have given up on Freebsd as not anywhere is there a decent tutorial that explains how to use it for a complete noob. The instructions that i have found on Forums or youtube is either wrong or dont work as the commands have changed from version to version. This is very frustrating. The Freebsd handbook is really of no use as the commands that is shown really does not explain how to use it. So i take my hat off to you sir for being able to understand this thing called Freebsd.
regards

Back