Setting the Volume via mixer doesn't work...

Hi!
I use 2 Soundcards for my System (Laptop) one internal which works, everything fine. For Recording I want to use an external one via USB which works but I can't adjust the Volume for the USB Card. If I do it is always directly resetted to the standard value. Here is an example:

Code:
$ mixer -f /dev/dsp4 pcm +10
Setting the mixer pcm from 45:45 to 55:55.
$ mixer -f /dev/dsp4 pcm +10
Setting the mixer pcm from 45:45 to 55:55.

The other device behaves like expected, I can increase the volume and it is stored...

Code:
$ mixer pcm +10
Setting the mixer pcm from 75:75 to 85:85.
$ mixer pcm +10
Setting the mixer pcm from 85:85 to 95:95.

Any ideas?

Permissions should be ok they are the same as the permissions for dsp1 and mixer works as expected here.
Code:
$ sudo mixer -f /dev/dsp4 pcm 10
Setting the mixer pcm from 45:45 to 10:10.
$ sudo mixer -f /dev/dsp4 pcm 10
Setting the mixer pcm from 45:45 to 10:10.
As you can see the same behavior as with normal user as described above. The change has no affect, playing a mp3 and changing the value on the fly does nothing, even not for a second... The device in general works only that I can't set the volume...

I tried to figure out where to get further help - but without success. Does anybody know if there is a kind of a maintainer for snd_uaudio to write him an email? (I think this is not a problem of permissions etc. because I did a fresh install and have the same behavior out of the box).

Thank you for your suggestion. I already saw that in the man page but thought that there would be a better address maybe because Hiten Pandya "only" did the modifications for the man page as it seems but it is probably my best option so I will try to get help from him. I will post the result here in case that anyone is curious about a solution if I find one.

I have an internal card using the snd_hda module which works fine. The USB Card (Logitech A-5572A Headset) uses snd_uaudio and has the behavior described above. Even after a fresh install. You are right, it has less mixers, only 2. PCM and REC but I can't set both of them.

Wow!

Thank you, that really did the trick. Just because I'm curious - can anybody explain me why it works this way or what is the difference between the two methods of setting the volume?

Back