service sshd restart

Dear all,

I am a junior user in FreeBSD, I have used VMware 8.x for installing FreeBSD 9.0, some problems might show as:
  1. 1. When I use one vCPU, if I issued service sshd restart, the screen showed stopping sshd and starting sshd.
  2. When I use two vCPU, if I issued service sshd restart, the screen showed waiting for PIDS: 1185 and starting sshd.

Even if there are no problems to services, but I want to ask why different message showing in above case?

The second message just indicates that there was still something using it and it had to wait.

Both are normal messages.

I think that these message can make IT administrators to be confused, but why the core team in FreeBSD do not fix this issue? "stopping sshd and starting sshd" is a better to show to users.

Restarting a core system daemon isn't an "end-user" experience. "IT administrators" should not be confused by the following output:

Code:
% /etc/rc.d/sshd start
sshd already running? (pid=1523).

% /etc/rc.d/sshd restart
Stopping sshd.
Waiting for PIDS: 1523.
Starting sshd.

What is happening is very clear. Worse would be a pause with no explanation while the system restarts.

Likewise, if one kills a running sshd independent of the rc script, you get another informative message:

Code:
% /etc/rc.d/sshd restart
sshd not running? (check /var/run/sshd.pid).
Starting sshd.

There is nothing to "fix" here.

macaujohn2000 said:
Even if there are no problems to services, but I want to ask why different message showing in above case?

I would be a lot more confused by having less messages or even no messages at all!
Now, in this specific case the waiting for pids sentence could be made more clear using something like waiting for processes to quit (pids = ...) but you have tp consider that a system administrator knows the relation between a process and its pid and that short messages are easiest to report, to display on consoles without having to scroll.

Back