server laptop's

yes iirc @phoenix have a laptop server (may wrong) but yes can be done.
install, configure, put the battery and plug in 220 volts and.. you have server... with ups! :)

I'd suggest finding one with a decent cooling solution, just in case - some of the cheap laptops overheat even with modest normal use, and that could be inconvenient in a server. On the other hand, servers usually have very light load ...

If you haven't already got a laptop you're planning to use, the thinkpads I've tried have had good cooling (and usually decent FreeBSD support), so if you can find a cheap (perhaps used) one, that might be an idea.

Do realize that heat and prolonged charging severely impacts the battery's lifetime.

If you will run your server with WLAN, keep in mind the WLAN stability. For a server operation you'll need a perfect working WLAN. I can remember the instability of the build-in Intel Pro Wireless 2200 BG chipset on one of my old laptops. Sometimes the chipset (or the software?) disconnected the transmission suddenly after some hours of operation.

SirDice said:
Do realize that heat and prolonged charging severely impacts the battery's lifetime.

A normal UPS battery will have the problem, and will need to be replaced at regular intervals.

Back