Selling security updates via subscriptions

jbo@

Developer
Every now and then I have to fire up some Linux VMs for development work.
I just fired up an Ubuntu 22.04 VM, performed a package update and was greeted with this:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
Get more security updates through Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled:
  python3-git xrdp
Learn more about Ubuntu Pro at https://ubuntu.com/pro
The following packages have been kept back:
  gjs libgjs0g python3-update-manager update-manager update-manager-core
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Just to emphasize on the output above:
Code:
Get more security updates through Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled:
  python3-git xrdp
Learn more about Ubuntu Pro at https://ubuntu.com/pro
Sure enough, having a look at that link seems to indicate that Canonical now provides an "Ubuntu Pro" subscription and I'm no longer getting (the latest?) security updates for python, git and and the RDP server I'm running without it.
Note that this is an Ubuntu version that's < 2 years old and that they offer as their current "LTS" release. To quote from their website:
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
The latest LTS version of Ubuntu, for desktop PCs and laptops. LTS stands for long-term support — which means five years of free security and maintenance updates, guaranteed until April 2027.
That's not a quote I dug up from some time ago - I literally grabbed that from their website while writing this.

I surely hope - and I cannot stress this enough - that the FreeBSD foundation will never even remotely consider this something like this as an option.
The day something like this happens to FreeBSD is the day I'll see myself forced to move my efforts elsewhere.
I'll probably not even bother trying to participate in one of the inevitably created FreeBSD forks that will follow. Fragmentation is after all one of the reasons why I switched from Linux to FreeBSD.

To anybody who'll respond with "but the Ubuntu Pro subscription is free for personal use": In my case I'm using Ubuntu for professional work. Also, I think by now we have all witnessed countless times that a subscription is prone to change down the road once the company enforcing it got enough users trapped.

Last edited:
The day something like this happens to FreeBSD is the day I'll see myself forced to move my efforts elsewhere.
I'll not even bother trying to participate in one of the inevitably created FreeBSD forks that will follow. Fragmentation is after all one of the reasons why I switched from Linux to FreeBSD.
Not a whole bunch of other options, though. Maybe an existing fork like Dragonfly?

I believe a question regarding this type of paid-for support was on the recent FreeBSD foundation survey.

If they want to go that route to support i.e FreeBSD 7.x in 2023, then that is fine (probably not much business in it though). However this will not be the case, and instead we will just see a less maintained current RELEASE and that would be a shame.

A foundation shouldn't do this. Perhaps a spinout from some of the developers in a similar way to https://stable.mtier.org/ for OpenBSD.

Everyone (commercial entity that is) is trying to sell subscriptions to their customers. The reason why is obvious: steady income every month is better than "random" income every month. No, I'm not saying that it is ok to change from "free" to "paid" in the middle of a contract.

Back