Looking to replace a group of FreeBSD machines running UFS with newer version of FreeBSD and ZFS. The big thing I'm having an issue with is replacing the existing backup system with ZFS:
- A level 0 dump is run every 15 days.
- A level 1 dump is run nightly.
- Only 2 level 0 dumps and 14 level 1 dumps are retained. So nothing is ever available for more that 30 days (policy).
- All of this gets ssh'ed to a big file server with only non-root access that does not run ZFS (so far so good).
- The problem: Restores need to handle both full restore (currently, this is use the last level 0 and the last level 1) as well as individual files (I can not figure out how to do this with ZFS). There is no way to use ZFS tools on the file server nor is root an option.