Solved seamonkey unavailable after lates pkg upgrade

Very well, finally I could do it, thanks to the time you have spent in answering my questions due to my very basic knowledge. I merged all your answers to my mistakes, seen a videotutorial in my language, and at the end I can say I'm out of the escape room :) . Jmos you have made a big job to keep Seamonkey still usable although after the recent system packages upgrade it could not run anymore.
Since I switch this thread in the SOLVED status, let me summarize here the steps I took for having the Seamonkey back on FreeBSD13 :
-------------------------------------------------------------
it will work if you have the ports tree installed and internet connection on.

Check /usr/ports/ directory , if it contains tents of folder with categories name, then the ports tree is installed, begin from step 2.
If that directory is empty you must install the ports tree, begin from step 1.

1- From a console window give:
su
[root password]

then give:
portsnap fetch

when done, give:
portsnap extract

2- Now go to the Jmos url page

and download the archive 'ports-20210928.tar.xz'.
Put it in any directory (not /usr/ports/ ), suggested f.e. $HOME directory

extract the archive there, the main 'usr' folder include the path /ports/www/seamonkey/

from the console, cd to the 'seamonkey' directory - otherwise separate such directory from its original path by copying it elsewhere

from inside 'seamonkey' give:
su
[password]

then give:
make install (if you are installing Seamonkey first time)

otherwise:
make reinstall (if there is already a Seamonkey package installed in the system)

it will take a considerable time in self installing - building- configuring several packages, and options windows will sometimes appear asking for your choice, to make it easy give OK for defaults each time

After finished, the Seamonkey browser should be ready to run.

Finally, from same console window still root logged, give:
make clean

and after that, give:
pkg autoremove

Last edited:
Back