Screwed Del and AltGr buttons?

Hi everyone,

It seems that without any reason, my delete button is screwed, as well as my tab button under X (wich is curiously something I was trying to do), but it seems that in the process, my computer trolled me, and also has changed my delete button what it does:

Only pressing DEL: ~
DEL + Shift: $
DEL + Ctrl: ^
DEL + AltGr: [3~

If I try with xmodmap:

[CMD=]xmodmap[/cmd]
Code:
xmodmap:  up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock      
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71),  Meta_L (0x9c)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3      
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74),  Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L (0x80)
mod5        Mode_switch (0x5d),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

I don't clearly know how to solve this, since it's getting changed at startup.

Oh yes, I also can't get the AltGr keys correctly, for instance, if I want the "pipe" character, I simply can't do it, any idea?

I'm going to post a link with the keymap table.

How could I revert the changes? I'm going to search through the internet, perhaps I can find something.

EDIT: The link to the keymap table is this pastebin.com/cBpx8QPK

EDIT2: The screwed buttons are TAB, DEL, and AltGr

Hello, thanks for the information, but do you have any idea of why it could be broken now? I mean, I use FreeBSD as a desktop system, and this morning it was working normally. I rebooted 3 times, to no avail. I didn't change any config file, but anyways, is there anyway to see what were the opened files in the system?

I'm going to search about syslog(8).

Many thanks.

EDIT: Anyways, is too late to use syslogd(8)

That's the most curious thing of all... ANYTHING. And curiously, at the same time, it's working perfectly now without any changes at all. Could it be due to faulty hardware? Which would be certainly strange since this laptop is like 4/5 years old.

Anyways, many thanks for the help, at least I've learned a bit about the problems with DEL and key configuration.

An environment variable like $TERM being temporarily changed in a shell is a lot more likely than a hardware failure. That would be local to that particular shell. New shells would get their default value from .cshrc, so they would still work.

Try to recreate the situation.

It happened in all the terminals in X (not in console), so I guess that can't be the problem.

I didn't change any environmental variable, and, if that was the case: What can explain the fact that I had this problem even rebooting 4 times, and the, it suddently disappeared?

Anyways, if something were to happen again, I'll keep that in mind.

Back