Other Screen Flicker/Going Dark when Logging Out of Mate Issue

What's interesting is that I installed chromium and have been using it without any screen flickering/gibberish.:) But, I've not logged out of mate and tried to shutdown yet.

Well, that idea solved the screen saver issue, but not the blank or flickering screen upon logging out of mate. I did notice when installing nvidia-driver that the file name had changed from 470.xx to a 500.xx. Thus, my assumption is that the updated nvidia software may have added additional issues such as a need for a second video path for dual monitors, or some kind of driver for some sound volumes or such. I'm not knowledgeable nor experienced enough to solving such things. Therefore, any additional thoughts will be very much appreciated. It maybe my MSI motherboard BIOS is causing this, but until about a month ago everything was running fine. I'm an avid user of "less /usr/ports/UPDATING and have not found any relevant upgrades therein.

Oh! now upon logging out, the screen goes blank and I have to type, in root, shutdown -p now without seeing anything. But, if I've typed it correctly, the system shuts down.

Hello again, I'm still trying to solve the major screen/monitor issue of going blank and then back on and then blank completely. So, then I have to type the logout and shutdown commands looking at a black screen. When I installed Gnome from the package and reinstalled Mate, I received the following message:

(gconftool-2:3653): GConf-WARNING **: 15:56:02.617: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

And as the monitor is blinking on and off when logging out, one of the error messages was showing a D-Bus issue. Any ideas about a possible resolution to this aggravating issue would be greatly appreciated.

Back