Other Screen Flicker/Going Dark when Logging Out of Mate Issue

When logging out of Mate or any desktop GUI, the monitor/screen keeps flashing errors that go by so quick as to not be able to read. When I first log in as root and use or edit any of the syntax in a directory and then shutdown the system, None of the monitor/screen flashing occurs. I am at a loss as to how describe this issue in a meaningful manner. Thus, any questions or thought would be appreciated. I'm using BSD13.0 with a GForce 1030 Video Card which works fine. The system is built on an MSI Z590 Pro Wi-fi Motherboard with an Intel i7-10700 cpu. This just started happening about a month ago after I carried out a pkg upgrade. Since that time, I've reinstalled 13.0 from the commercial disk and carried out all the processes used to have my system running as a very usable desktop PC except for issue when logging out and having to type the shutdown -p now command without seeing it, but usually it shuts down ok.

I hope this will help! My monitor is now blinking on and off -

Attachments

• IMG-0439.jpg
    IMG-0439.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
I can't help on the issue since i don't use Mate. But i am sure someone else can now explain what's going on.
Now, in the last hour, and when I'm using Firefox Browser; the screen goes blank and right back on in no set time!!?? So Maybe, between Mate, Gnome, and Firefox there is a conflict with video ports being used by those ports or my Gforce 1030 Nvidia card install or some other upgrades before we move to 13.1?

When you log out of MATE (or any other WM/DE) X also exits. Then your display manager (SLiM, SDDM, etc) starts again. That's the "flickering" you see.

That can't be right.

Which version of FreeBSD, exactly, now runs?
FreeBSD randy.bsd.net 13.0-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p11 #0: Tue Apr 5 18:54:35 UTC 2022 root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64 1300139 1300139

freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU

Packages from latest or quarterly?

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled
pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled
url : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly",
enabled : yes,

Thanks, so the OS is up-to-date.

When did you last upgrade packages?

… using Firefox Browser; the screen goes blank and right back on …

If not an intermittent/marginal graphics hardware (or display) fault, then I might suspect the graphics driver.

What's reported by this command?

sysrc kld_list

Please edit the title of the topic, for readers to know that it's not solely about log out.

I usually always upgrade pkg's in the morning while having my morning coffee. Also, I portsnap fetch update, portsclean -C and -L, Portsnap extract, and pkg autoremove. Then about once a week I'll use the freebsd-update install command.

The only thing listed in the "sysrc kld_list" is - kld_list: nvidia-modeset

Here is what's reported with pciconf -vl

device=0x2476
vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
device = 'GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]'
class = display
subclass = VGA
hdac0@pci0:1:0:1: class=0x040300 rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10de device=0x0fb8 subvendor=0x19da subdevice=0x2476
vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
device = 'GP108 High Definition Audio Controller'
class = multimedia
subclass = HDA
none5@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x15f3 subvendor=0x1462 sub

Also, here is what I loaded for the Nvidia 1030 video card.
pkg install nvidia-driver - then added to the rc.conf - kld_list="nvidia-modeset" - then /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d -then made the file nvidia-driver with the follow:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

A match: <https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=b77d4fef6b&d=FreeBSD#pci:10de-1d01-19da-2476>

Have you had a blackout with anything other than Firefox?
Thanks, However, I've been thinking it may be Firefox that is causing the issue; so, I simply loaded Firefox and no other apps from mate and leaving it on while carrying out some domestic duties. When I returned about 30 minutes later the screen saver was blinking on and off with gibberish. I shutdown firefox and only the desktop mate was running. Low and behold, the screen stop blinking with gibberish. Therefore, I am assuming that Firefox is the culprit. At least that is my assumption!

Thanks for your time and ideas in this journey!

Back