save-entropy: segmentation fault

Hi all,

Today I upgraded my FreeBSD server from v8 to v8.1 stable.

After doing so, I started getting error messages from cron every half hour or so that executing save-entropy results in a segmentation fault.

I've temporarily disabled the cron job. Any thoughts on what to do next? Leave as is... or?

Thanks,

-Colin

Describe your upgrade process. Source upgrade, or freebsd-update? Ran mergemaster?

I updated the source with cvsup; recompiled everything, booted single user, installed kernel, ran mergemaster.

Then all I can think of is a 'bad apple' in the sources just when you checked them out and built -STABLE from them. It can happen. because it's a moving target. Try a new source upgrade and build again. If the problem still persists, we'll have to come up with a different idea.

DD: In the course of testing something else, I rebooted my system, and later tried running save-entropy in terminal. No segementation fault, so I reenabled the cron job, and it seems to work now. Guess it was just something temporary.

While I have your attention, may I ask you about mergemaster?

According to the handbook, after installing the kernel, these are the steps:

Code:
# mergemaster -p
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot
According to the mergemaster man page, -p is supposed to restrict its operation to: "Pre-buildworld mode. Compares only files known to be essential to the success of {build|install}world"

However, I had the distinct impression that both times I ran mergemaster, with and without -p, it cycled through the entire /etc tree, and I found it exceedingly monotonous to have look at each file twice, since I customarily only modify a small number of files in under /etc and /usr/local/etc. Many of the changes were just the familiar header line, ie:

Code:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.30.2.1 2009/08/03 08:13:06 kensmith Exp $

I almost think it might be easier to make the changes manually, w/o mergemaster. Your thoughts?

Code:
-F         If the files differ only by VCS Id ($FreeBSD) install the new
                 file.
Thanks for the tip. Will definitely use this next time.

See also 'the 11 steps' in /usr/src/Makefile which essentially suggests some flags to cut down on time. It would be preferable if the handbook used these same steps.

Back