samba shadow copy

Hello,
Has anyone sucessfully got samba shadow copy service running on FreeBSD? I know Linux-LVM-XFS and FreeBSD-ZFS has some success. Is it possible to get it work with UFS2 snapshot feature? Thank you.

I've tried to use this module but without success...
I followed the instruction from the vfs_shadow_copy2 man page which comes with samba but for some reason samba does not see the UFS2 snapshots... probably I am not doing something right :)

Here is the part of the smb.conf to enable the shadow copy module:
Code:
[homes]
   vfs objects = shadow_copy2
   shadow:snapdir = /home/snaphots
   shadow:basedir = /home
Here is the disk layout:
Code:
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, acls)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/ad0s1d on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates, acls)

The snapshots are created as described in the freebsd handbook.

I have to mention that I haven't mounted them as a memory disk since I don't see the point of doing this manually or even in cron, coz for me samba has to do it automatically...

What bothers me is this part of the vfs_shadow_copy2 man page:
Filesystem snapshots must be mounted on specially named directories in order to be recognized by vfs_shadow_copy2. The snapshot mount points must be immediate children of a the directory being shared. The snapshot naming convention is @GMT-YYYY.MM.DD-hh.mm.ss, where:

o YYYY is the 4 digit year

o MM is the 2 digit month

o DD is the 2 digit day

o hh is the 2 digit hour

o mm is the 2 digit minute

o ss is the 2 digit second.

The vfs_shadow_copy2 snapshot naming convention can be produced with the following date(1) command:

TZ=GMT date +@GMT-%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S

I don't know exactly how to make these mounts... Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

I'm highly interested in this too but have not yet had much success. If someone gets it working, a comprehensive guide would be fantastic, and earn you a beer.

tsarya said:
I've tried to use this module but without success...
I followed the instruction from the vfs_shadow_copy2 man page which comes with samba but for some reason samba does not see the UFS2 snapshots... probably I am not doing something right :)
I don't think it supports UFS (I could be wrong). I believe it requires ZFS.

Weaseal said:
I believe it requires ZFS.

I'm not even sure about that. I've since tried it on ZFS and couldn't manage to get that working either. The only examples of it working I could find on the net were for solaris, I couldn't find anything on FreeBSD.

Back