Ryzen startx

I can't start x window, I had installed drm-515-kmod and add kld_list="amdgpu" to /etc/rc.conf, but still can't start x window. Any other settings should be done? 14.0 RC1 with R7 7840h

Post your log; cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
I am having the same issue with my AMDGPU 6750XT, Navi22, looks like X is trying to use Radeon. Let me know if you report it and I'll add my log.

I can't start x window, I had installed drm-515-kmod and add kld_list="amdgpu" to /etc/rc.conf, but still can't start x window. Any other settings should be done? 14.0 RC1 with R7 7840h
Your stuff is too new to be supported by the graphics drivers available in graphics/drm-515-kmod... Ryzen 7 7840h has Radeon 780M integrated GPU... and right now, graphics/drm-515-kmod doesn't support GPUs beyond Radeon 6000 series.

One good way to determine if your hardware is compatible is to find the driver codename for your GPU from techpowerup.com, and then compare that to the package plist you find on Freshports.

I can tell you that Ryzen 7000 series is a beast when it comes to compiling stuff (I have a Ryzen 5 7600, and it compiled GCC in just about 3 hours, iirc).

oh, and FreeBSD doesn't play well with RealTek wifi - replace that card with an Intel-branded one.

but I noticed someone uses R9 7950X with 14-current on the forum. Should I try 15-current?

but I noticed someone uses R9 7950X with 14-current on the forum. Should I try 15-current?
That's a Ryzen, not Radeon. FreeBSD runs fine on the latest Ryzens - just don't expect graphics (or anything beyond 802.11g for wifi). 15-CURRENT is not gonna improve the situation.

There's kind of a reason why vast majority of users are steered towards -RELEASE-tagged versions of FreeBSD, rather than -CURRENT. -CURRENT is stuff still in development, expect everything to break. -RELEASE-tagged stuff is the consistent, documented, ironed-out stuff you can count on getting help with.

Back