"Run Your Own Mail Server" by M.W.Lucas

No, it doesn't. Having your own AS won't fix that either. That wasn't the point. In fact, setting up shop for yourself opens you up to a whole lot more potential abuse, suppression and harrassment.
Yes, that is very much what I would expect.

I'm on IPv6 and have been for years now. Google works just fine from any of the /48 prefixes I have available.
Lucky you.

Seems like you have a major problem with your ISP. That problem isn't the fault of IPv6 but rather your ISP's apparently strange policies and crummy reputation. Complain to them about those or vote with your wallet and get a connection elsewhere.
The ISP and the IPv6 here is not the same.
But if You say, multiple /48, then Yours is probably a shop, and that likely makes things a bit different.

Yes, that is very much what I would expect.

Lucky you.

The ISP and the IPv6 here is not the same.
But if You say, multiple /48, then Yours is probably a shop, and that likely makes things a bit different.
I have simple consumer internet service here in the Netherlands and I rent a server from another party that's physically located in Finland. Both have IPv6 prefixes allocated to them. Both work just fine. As have any of the prefixes I've used before. They do all come from RIPE, as the only common factor between them.

That's true - but then where do you get reverse DNS for the IPv6? (Except from HE, which do not allow port 25)

I do run our own mailserver on both IPV4 and IPV6, set IPv6 /48 nameservers to Cloudflare's and you can assign any ipv6 ip in that /48 a reverse DNS.

So far only Google is on IPv6 mailservers I think.

I have simple consumer internet service here in the Netherlands and I rent a server from another party that's physically located in Finland. Both have IPv6 prefixes allocated to them. Both work just fine. As have any of the prefixes I've used before. They do all come from RIPE, as the only common factor between them.
Hm. If consumer internet service give you static IPv6 with rDNS delegation, that's a good service.

Nope, we're lucky to have Freedom Internet here (freedom.nl) which takes requests for rdns from residential customers and sets them up on both the IPv4 and IPv6 side of things for you. Shameless plug, I know, but they deserve it fair and square. I am, however, only hosting stuff from the VPS I rent. Having a residential/consumer IP block still runs you into blocklists from time to time when it comes to hosting mail.

The mainstream old telco dinosaur ISP doesn't do rdns for consumers, obviously. There are ways round that using GRE tunnels etc. but that's a whole different cookie.

Comcast/Xfinity is my ISP, and no servers allowed on their wire, unless paying ludicrous "business" rates.
Years ago, I hosted my own mail server (still own the domain).
I got endless spam, and wound up blocking entire continents (Europe, Asia, Africa, etc)
It was a giant PITA.
I used to have Comcast Business Internet Access service, when it was $99 per month with 2 years contract. For that price, we got 5 static IPs and Pass Through routing, which I asked for. The connection speed rates were nothing to brag about (100/20 Mbps), but enough for our SOHO operations that included self hosted OpenSMTPD with OpenDKIM, Dovecot with SpamAssassin, Apache and Drupal CMS with SMTP module. Those days I was playing with OpenBSD and my friend, who ran the show with me, was a FreeBSD fan and web developer. We were not OpenBSD or FreeBSD experts, but we've made it all work, including BIND for locally hosted Secondary DNS, with help from Draytek FW/Router for LAN/WAN routing and front end security. We didn't have any problems with email routing to and from all major SMTP servers, Google, MS, Yahoo and the rest, using TCP/IP port 25. Sadly, after months of trouble free email service, our email server was turned into SMTP relay, for couple of days before we noticed, by a hacker who exploited a bug in OpenSMTPD. After that incident I decided NOT TO play with locally hosted email services or any other locally hosted servers. It was too much work for our small web project. But, self hosting with your own hardware is not a big deal, if your ISP let's you do it, you want to learn and are willing to take a chance using software, sometimes with bugs, written by others.

Note:
Comcast had nothing to do with our DNS. We used joker.com as primary and our own as the secondary DNS.

Back