Solved RUN fsck MANUALLY

After an install of a port had an error no boot medium error could be found I rebooted and this message with single user mode appears after boot.
Code:
/dev/ada0s1a: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. Automatic file system check failed; help!
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)! Date/time init 1 --/bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter root password.
What does this mean?

This means you should check the health of your hardware, hard drive in particular. I'd boot from an external media, run fsck and test the drive with smartctl tools. That's for starters. Next steps depend on what you have found.

What Speedy said.

It means that the file system in corrupted. With soft updates, this should never happen, even if you shut down the computer hard (power kill). At least it shouldn't if the disk drive isn't lying to the OS, and performing writes out of order. But I don't think any production disk drives will do that (there is always the possibility of bugs in the drive firmware). Having a bug in FreeBSD UFS that causes this corruption is theoretically possible, but astronomically unlikely, as UFS is very well written, old and experienced (the soft updates feature was implemented over 20 years ago), and well tested. More likely it is corruption at the disk drive level.

The fix to the corruption is to run fsck when you get to the single user prompt, as the message told you. Then reboot, and hope the problem goes away.

This means you should check the health of your hardware, hard drive in particular. I'd boot from an external media, run fsck and test the drive with smartctl tools. That's for starters. Next steps depend on what you have found.
To boot from an external media like a flash drive if I'm using virtual box on windows host? How do I do this? K ran fsck and the was an endless list of error corrections that I have to say y/n to.

There is a reason for everything. Fixing errors and hoping they won't come back would not be enough for me. Even virtual machine image is stored on real hard drive. I don't know what Windows can do to this image, maybe it can corrupt it. Once I had Windows, but it crashed and I didn't bother reinstall. It was around 2003 if I recall correctly. But even Windows may have some disk diagnostics tools. No?

Back