RTL8821CE driver?

Hello,

As sure as some of you know, getting WiFi to work on this OS can be a hassle - especially when the network card you have is not supported. Just curious - will there be the prospect of an RTL8821CE driver in FreeBSD?

As the FreeBSD project doesn't have "conquer the desktop market" as one of its goals, the criticality of this request fails.
If somebody wants to do something about getting this supported, here are a few suggestions:
1) learn how to be a FreeBSD developer, then learn how to write device drivers, then write a device driver for it
2) find a FreeBSD developer who is interested in writing a driver for it, and have some free time, then pay this developer to write the driver
3) gather a few hundred friends who are also very interested in this subject, and have them petition the FreeBSD Foundation to sponsor the project

Whatever you choose; good luck!

LHW11.png

12th to be exact:
  1. QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
  2. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
  3. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
  4. QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
  5. Wireless 8265 / 8275
  6. Wireless 7260
  7. Wireless 7265
  8. BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
  9. Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
  10. Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]
  11. Cannon Point-LP CNVi [Wireless-AC]
  12. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
  13. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

As the FreeBSD project doesn't have "conquer the desktop market" as one of its goals, the criticality of this request fails.

Why then is it defined as a system for desktops, laptops and servers? Personally, I really like desktop derivatives like NomadBSD, GhostBSD and FuryBSD.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html said:

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
What is FreeBSD?​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
FreeBSD is a modern operating system for desktops, laptops, servers, and embedded systems with support for a large number of platforms.​
[/TD]

Also interest in desktops is far enough from zero:

FreeBSDSurvey.png

If somebody wants to do something about getting this supported, here are a few suggestions:
1) learn how to be a FreeBSD developer, then learn how to write device drivers, then write a device driver for it
2) find a FreeBSD developer who is interested in writing a driver for it, and have some free time, then pay this developer to write the driver
3) gather a few hundred friends who are also very interested in this subject, and have them petition the FreeBSD Foundation to sponsor the project

Whatever you choose; good luck!

This is why FreeBSD uses both the server and the workstation every day, because It is unified, unlike many Linux distributions. It is a pity that FreeBSD is losing its competitive advantage over Fedora and Debian.

FreeBSD is the best solution for servers, just think about why most VPS (KVM) offers CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian but not FreeBSD, for me it is a loss of competitiveness. Very sorry.

Even Debian and Fedora have solutions for 8821CE ( https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce ) only FreeBSD does not have a step-by-step solution to the problem.

This is why the FreeBSD project is significantly inferior to Debian, RHEL, and other Linux distributions, with fewer and fewer hosting providers providing FreeBSD. With such a drinker, you will ensure that FreeBSD simply disappears. Note the AMD drivers it offers for RHEL and Ubuntu only not FreeBSD! This is a strategic loss!

I want to cry "Give me back FreeBSD 5-6"... :(

[QUOTE = "шхлн, должность: 467361, участник: 54069"]
Я становлюсь довольно раздраженным каждый раз, когда кто-то неверно представляет ноутбуки как настольные.
[/ QUOTE]

Laptop is a full-fledged workstation, I agree completely! It is a pity that FreeBSD is inferior to Linux in this matter (

I'm getting quite annoyed each time somebody misrepresents laptops as desktops.
I'm not sure what you mean. The linked thread clearly discusses wired workarounds for non-working laptop wireless hardware. Even short cables as Aponomarenko suggests are obnoxious given all* modern laptops ship with built-in wireless hardware.

There are at least two meanings of "desktop" in computer lexicon. One is the beige box we all know and love. The other is the set of graphical user interface abstractions we've become used to since the Mac classic popularized Xerox PARC's work.

Sometimes when people say something about "desktops" they mean desktop PCs. Sometimes when they speak of how something will work "on the desktop" they mean on the GUI common to laptops and desktops, as opposed to smart phones.

In any case, the desktop user experience in all its forms is becoming less and less popular, like it or not. (I don't like it.) The desktop computer is losing popularity even more rapidly. I had the realization that even most people that work on open source software don't have and don't want a desktop PC. Most work on laptops.

* I'd be curious if someone can come up with an example of one that doesn't.

I'm getting quite annoyed each time somebody misrepresents laptops as desktops.

Laptop is the new Desktop: with 19" "laptops" - and the weight that comes with the size, the last place you want to see one is in your lap, so it ends up sitting on your desk, plugged in to the mains with a mouse attached. Laptops have become TRANSportable computers, slimmer than this one, of course, but still...

Just found this info about desktop support: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FreeBSD-Laptops-2020-Challenge:

... Among the recent initiatives helping this have been more FreeBSD contributions from Intel and the FreeBSD Foundation buying newer laptops for developers in an effort to improve hardware support. ...

To make long things short.
No FreeBSD does not support RTL 8821CE and it is not very probable it will in the near future.
I think is no need being arrogant or snippy.
My main notebook also uses a RTL 8821CE wifi card, it cannot be exchanged (thanks HP!) and so i cannot use FreeBSD on my main notebook right now.
And as my main notebook featur4es a Ryzen CPU und AMD GPU, i also cannot use my graphics chip and therefor i get a lower resolution than my display is made for.
Sigh. I will try on an older (wintel based) notebook, maybe there i can use FreeBSD.
Wish me luck.

Back