RPM error when launching (libgssapi.so.10 not found)

Hi 2 all,

I have installed the RPM port taken from the ports collection of the 8th version of FreeBSD, on my FreeBSD 7.0 version.

But when I run it I get the following error. What is the problem?

rpm
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgssapi.so.10" not found, required by "rpm"

I have also Linux emulation enabled and latest linux_base packages from the 8th version of FreeBSD installed. How to fix this problem?

vyrtosu said:
taken from the ports collection of the 8th version of FreeBSD, on my FreeBSD 7.0 version.
Sorry, can you explain this?
Did you installed a package built for 8.0 on 7.0?

Yes, I thought that if I use a package installer it should tell me that something is going wrong. I actually have taken this package from he latest 8.0 current release FTP and passed it to the pkg_add application. It was installed without any problem. Sometime it asked me to download additional packages what I did and everything was installed good. Is it wrong? I am newbie in FreeBSD and I am sorry if my question is stupid. But If I dont have any RPM port on FreeBSD 7.0 where should I take them then?

Thanks for any help.

Here one more thread about similar problem.
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=1753

ale said:
You can't install packages (not ports) built fot 8.0 on 7.0 as they could be linked to different and incompatible version of libraries.
You have to get a package built for 7.0 or build it by yourself using ports.

Read the chapter of the handbook to understand the differences between ports and packages and how manage them.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

What do you want to do with rpm?

Thanks i've understood my error :(, thus I have two questions. What is the easiest way to update my version of FreeBSD to 8-th current version and to the 8-th stable when it will be released? And how is it possible to save my 7-th version of FreeBSD after all i have done to it with software from the 8-th version?

I wanted to use RPM to install Linux software on my UNIX machine.

I want to make a remark. I dont have access to the internet from my FreeBSD machine (not because I don't know how to connect it, I know but I do not have Internet there where my PC is located). So I can't use automated ports installer that downloads packages e.t.r.

7.1 with 7.0 compatibility

One more question. Are packages from 7.1 compatible with FreeBSD 7.0?

Back