RPi 3B+ sound and wifi

no wifi, no sound, not adapted and slow C compiler, unreliable pkg software, heavily wayland in there, no webbrowser on Xorg (just links works).

FreeBSD support is lacking...
RPi 3 seems to be tier 1 in NetBSD, but there are no official binaries...
OpenBSD has no X because of binary blobs...

no wifi, no sound, not adapted and slow C compiler, unreliable pkg software, heavily wayland in there, no webbrowser on Xorg (just links works).

On the ARM mailing list (Dec, 2018) Bob Prohaska successfully compiled and used Chromium :)

The resulting executable turned up in /usr/local/bin/chrome, which was
slightly surprising; the port's name is chromium, after all.... It seems
to run, but is too slow to play Youtube videos smoothly. For static pages
it seems fine.

On the ARM mailing list (Dec, 2018) Bob Prohaska successfully compiled and used Chromium :)

Sounds good.
Man, Bob had certainly lot of efforts to compile it.... highest respect.

Could it be made available in FreeBSD RPI3 13.0 with pkg install ?

An another year came and went. So - is there anything new here?

The wiki page is mostly 2 years old. The last mailing list .
Warner Losh had SDIO on the TODO list in a BSDCan 2007 presentation (!).
The SDIO work was mentioned in a FreeBSD status report in September 2013. This is now 6 years ago.

How dead is that subproject really?

FreeBSD on RPI3b+ is so great !!!

I recommend it millions of times.

FreeBSD on RPI3B is 10x faster than the raspbian stuff!!!!!

FreeBSD'd deficit in that area is more and more glaring by the day.
I'm pretty sure it's a broadcom deficiency. The documentation for the BCM2837 processor (that includes the WiFi) isn't freely accessible.
Can't write drivers if you don't know how the hardware works.

Frankly the time when wifi was luxury should simply be over. Especially for a tinker device like the raspberry it should be a hard requirement. FreeBSD'd deficit in that area is more and more glaring by the day.
I totally disagree. What you call a tinker board others would call an embedded computer.
I don't want embedded WiFi chip on my embedded computer.
That is the beauty of the Hummingboard. It has a socket for miniPCIe. So you can add wifi if you need it.
Why pay for something you don't want or need. Plus you can use a supported module instead of expecting FreeBSD to write a new wireless driver for every new wifi enabled embedded board that comes out.

I don't want embedded WiFi chip on my embedded computer.
The same argument could be made about every peripheral. On a $35 device the wifi should be part of the basis. You don't have to activate it. But it is there when ypou need it.

I'm pretty sure it's a broadcom deficiency. The documentation for the BCM2837 processor (that includes the WiFi) isn't freely accessible.

Dear friggin lord! They did not even start with the bc driver. The issue is still (for something like twelve years now) the darned SDIO driver.

And I am sick and tired of "broadcom does not give dox". There have been Linux drivers for all this for many years now, for anyone to read.

But it has no wifi.

Frankly the time when wifi was luxury should simply be over. Especially for a tinker device like the raspberry it should be a hard requirement. FreeBSD'd deficit in that area is more and more glaring by the day.
It does not matter to have wifi.
Ethernet works, and you can use dongle usb wifi. see my other posts for models, of belkin.

It is better to have BSD than anything else.

The issue is still (for something like twelve years now) the darned SDIO driver.
I don't know the details as far as FreeBSD goes, but SDIO isn't free nor open-source. At the very least in the past, to be allowed to add a SDIO stack to FreeBSD there's more legal than technical stuff.
Quote from this page (2005)
SD and SDIO card IP is protected via patents, trade secrets, and copyrights. If you follow the license terms, keep the IP confidential, and make your payments to the right parties, then you can legally ship an SD/SDIO stack.
I still need to stress that I don't know the details about the FreeBSD implementation/work going on nor any inhibitations. I just want to draw attention to the fact that things aren't always what they seem.
Linux is generally supported by manufacturers themselves while FreeBSD rarely is. Writing FreeBSD drivers based on a Linux driver isn't that easy though, it's not like code is documentation.

However, you're always free to write a SDIO implementation and a broadcom driver to go with your own private copy of FreeBSD. It'll also give you some insight in what it takes to write an actual device driver.
More knowledge is always useful.

I don't know the details as far as FreeBSD goes, but SDIO isn't free nor open-source. At the very least in the past, to be allowed to add a SDIO stack to FreeBSD there's more legal than technical stuff.
Quote from this page (2005)

I still need to stress that I don't know the details about the FreeBSD implementation/work going on nor any inhibitations. I just want to draw attention to the fact that things aren't always what they seem.
Linux is generally supported by manufacturers themselves while FreeBSD rarely is. Writing FreeBSD drivers based on a Linux driver isn't that easy though, it's not like code is documentation.

However, you're always free to write a SDIO implementation and a broadcom driver to go with your own private copy of FreeBSD. It'll also give you some insight in what it takes to write an actual device driver.
More knowledge is always useful.

no one would try to make a driver for broadcom 4BSD. There is little points to do so.

The same argument could be made about every peripheral. On a $35 device the wifi should be part of the basis. You don't have to activate it. But it is there when ypou need it.

Dear friggin lord! They did not even start with the bc driver. The issue is still (for something like twelve years now) the darned SDIO driver.

And I am sick and tired of "broadcom does not give dox". There have been Linux drivers for all this for many years now, for anyone to read.

I think the key here is to abandon FreeBSD for Pi3B and use Linux. I know Devuan works and Xbian if you want a media center. FreeBSD just isn't interested (for good or bad) in these embedded & maker systems; it's the realm of Linux, they dominate and have the best support and/or best chance of support.

You're just giving yourself heartburn waiting for it to change.

I think the key here is to abandon FreeBSD for Pi3B and use Linux. I know Devuan works and Xbian if you want a media center. FreeBSD just isn't interested (for good or bad) in these embedded & maker systems; it's the realm of Linux, they dominate and have the best support and/or best chance of support.

You're just giving yourself heartburn waiting for it to change.
Linux has an awful networking layer, it is slow, hanging while compiling,... and it runs slower compared bsd in overall assessment. Furthermore, softs on it have issues with networking.
try mutt with sshfs. ... have fun

You really want BSD. It is old, means it works.

I get it, you're a supporter of FreeBSD. I am too. But, I know when it's worth using and when it's not. On the Raspberry Pi 2 and up to 3B+, it's ok as a headless server, but with a GUI and something like audio or tv/media it's not suitable. Linux is the only choice, unless you like waiting for years for supported infrastructure.
Raspbian is their own OS and it's Linux, not FreeBSD based. That ought tell you something. ;)

I get it, you're a supporter of FreeBSD. I am too. But, I know when it's worth using and when it's not. On the Raspberry Pi 2 and up to 3B+, it's ok as a headless server, but with a GUI and something like audio or tv/media it's not suitable. Linux is the only choice, unless you like waiting for years for supported infrastructure.
Raspbian is their own OS and it's Linux, not FreeBSD based. That ought tell you something. ;)
I ported kodi on the rpi2 and it works just fine as a multimedia center. The rpi3 is, alas, missing the vchiq driver.

First the Phone = Nokia OS,

Sure, some servers and X11 notebooks = FreeBSD.
The Pi 3b and 3b+ = FreeBSD v.13, ;)
The important servers = NetBSD ;)
The hacked slow PI that does TV with Kodi = Linux.
The Windows MS PC = the bin ;)
I would be interested to know how much Linux Kodi machines are hacked.

Back