Retro: 4Dwm clone?

Hi everybody,

In a bit of a nostalgic mood, I was wondering if there is a window manager out there that recreates (or can be configured to do so) the look and feel of 4Dwm, the window manager that was used on Silicon Graphics machines in the mid 90's (and possibly even today?).

In case that no direct clone exists, which window manager(s) do you think is/are easiest to configure to look like it? I currently use Blackbox, but I don't think it can do what I'm asking for. Perhaps Fvwm(2) can be configured in such a way?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Alphons

I'm not sure how 4Dwm looks like, but I bet that you can emulate most if not all look and feel of it using fvwm.

I've seen fvwm look and feel like KDE, Gnome, Windows, MacOsX, FluxBox etc....

If I wanted to created something similar to other window manager, I would defiantly start reading fvwm manuals (which are very good, and long)

I also suggest to use x11-wm/fvwm2-devel instead of x11-wm/fvwm2. It's very stable....

fonz said:
Hi everybody,

In a bit of a nostalgic mood, I was wondering if there is a window manager out there that recreates (or can be configured to do so) the look and feel of 4Dwm, the window manager that was used on Silicon Graphics machines in the mid 90's (and possibly even today?).

In case that no direct clone exists, which window manager(s) do you think is/are easiest to configure to look like it? I currently use Blackbox, but I don't think it can do what I'm asking for. Perhaps Fvwm(2) can be configured in such a way?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Alphons

Take a look at this

Back