Restoring deleted file from ZFS file system

ZFS is irrelevant from FreeBSD. ZFS was ported to FreeBSD and is currently being also used in Linux too. Perhaps it would be better for you to just use ZFS on Linux.

Hm... May be we read different words and different text, but for me that topic is irrelevant to: FreeBSD, Linux, ZFS etc...

Thanks for suggestion. I am currently doing exactly that running ZFS on Debian. After playing 3 weeks with FBSD I could I see that OS remained in the past. I could solve some issues I had, but on a long run it is not feasible to keep it running without spending much time for problem solving.
I have mentioned in that forum (different thread) about OS reboot without a reason. Which is not happening now on Debian. Hardware is obviously the same. I could not blame FBSD developers team, because it's too much work to address all those issue. And unfortunately the installation base does matter. I did experiment with piping "yes" command. FBSD version gave me 30 Mb/s, Nim on FBSD gave me 1Gb/s the same was with updated C version. Debian gave me 8 Gb/s on the same system... I would _not_ write about it, if I would not get your suggestion...

My suggestion is to think about your words, before typing them. :cool:

If in addition to that: _if_ the community is unfriendly it's just a matter of time when FBSD will disappear. Do I wish that? - Not at all.
I personally found this community very friendly excluding some people I mentioned above.

OMG... How many experts like that are using FBSD?

Tools that try to undelete files after the fact are voodoo.

For my record... A damn simple "Recycle Bin" in Windows is a voodoo...
Do you need some help to buy you a book about file systems?

A poster above claimed that Linux is better than FreeBSD because it has such tools. That poster is so wrong that it would be better for FreeBSD if he goes back to using and hyping Linux.

Oh! That guy not only have no clue about FS, but he can't read either... No wonder why so difficult to understand how FSs work.

I did not mentioned about Linux is better, than FBSD!
But if you can point me to that I would pay you any book about file systems you can buy!

The fact is and that what was really mentioned. Almost every Linux user knows about undelete programs OP was asking about.
That statement has nothing!!! in common with a statement Linux is better, than FBSD. Especially there is no such OS like Linux
People who know a little about computers would never compare a whole OS with just a kernel!
Just for those who overslept last 20 years... Android use Linux as a kernel. Debian is using FBSD kernel as an option...

But despite that, every time we see people who keep comparing Apples with Cars or Linux with FBSD...

Ah those experts... Actually I don't blame them. It's fully OK for people don't know something. Much worse is of those "experts"
are starting to teach others...

Please, don't do it. And then you can compare Linux with your Grandmother or smoke another grass. Thank you very much!

Use the best tool for the job, that's what most professionals do. Considering all the above arguments I suppose that could indeed be Windows 3.11 in this example, so that would be my advice.

There are indeed situations where one environment is better in place than the other. So I don't see how this would be any different.

Provided this is actually related to FreeBSD of course, something which I now seriously question.

Nope. It was purely personal. I do admit that. While looking how to recover a file I've lost under ZFS I found that post.
It has no time relation, because such problems were happening 20+ years ago and will happen 20+ years later.

The problem is not FBSD, neiter ZFS. The problem is people like you who blame others for nothing. The whole thread would make
more use for everyone if people would just mention that up to now according to "my" knowledge nobody has written such undelete tool
specially for ZFS. That is it.

Instead you started a personal discussion about what people have to do and don't have to. Do you really think it was OK?

Here I am ready to stop it. And I repeatedly admit, that I do not blame FBSD, which was my very first OS about 20 years ago!
I do not blame ZFS and do not blame any one in this forum. I am just asking every one to behave like people and
not being aggressive specially to those who fall into a trouble! But if you behave that way you can expect the same behaviour towards your person.

I hope it's clear by now. Thank you very much and sorry if you feel bad about my words. I just want to show you how other people feel if
people behave like you did. Thx

Hilarious!

Someone is arguing that other people should have created a recovering tool for ZFS, a file system which one of its main features is the ability to easy (or ever automatically) take snapshots with the possibility of remote replication, yes...

With ZFS I do not ever use a trash can on my desktop, I do not need one.

Hilarious!

Someone is arguing that other people should have created a recovering tool for ZFS, a file system which one of its main features is the ability to easy (or ever automatically) take snapshots with the possibility of remote replication, yes...

With ZFS I do not ever use a trash can on my desktop, I do not need one.

You have missed the point. Completely! Totally! Absolutely! Read it once again or just forget it.

# touch /root/bin/rm.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mv $@ /tmp/recycle-bin
# mkdir /tmp/recycle-bin
# chmod u+x /root/bin/rm.sh
# alias rm /root/bin/rm.sh
Now comes the accident...
# rm /etc/rc.conf /etc/sysctl.conf
Code:
# ls -l /tmp/recycle-bin
total 8
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  748 23 Jan. 11:23 rc.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  557 30 Nov. 18:53 sysctl.conf
Lucky me... mv /tmp/recycle-bin/*.conf /etc/

You can still /bin/rm/[I]filename[/I] if you really want to remove a file.
Of course it needs more tuning, like permissions, depending on your needs, adding it to path maybe and remove the options from rm if given any...
I actually like that, I'm going to fine tune that a bit :D

For my record... A damn simple "Recycle Bin" in Windows is a voodoo...
Sorry, but you have your facts wrong. Indeed, both Windows and the Macintosh have recycle bins or trash cans on the GUI. But these are not undelete functions. Matter-of-fact, neither NTFS on Windows, nor HFS/APFS on the Macintosh have an undelete function. Really, go to their API reference and look for them, and it is not there. Or do the following experiment: Open a shell window on either operating system, and delete a file with the rm command (on a Mac) or the del command (on Windows). It does now show up in the recycle bin/trash can. Then write a tiny little C program that makes the unlink() system call, and use it to delete a file; or do the equivalent in Perl or Python or the scripting language of your choice. None of the deleted files show up in the recycle bin, and you can't get them back.

Here's why: The delete function that's built into the graphical file manager of these operating systems actually doesn't delete files. Instead it moves them (that is, renames them) to a special directory which is usually invisible in file system traversals, and visible instead as a recycle bin or trash can. Restoring a file from the recycle bin is another move or rename operation.

If you had tried the "pg_dropcluster" operation you originally complained about on Windows (or on a Mac, or the equivalent operation for these OSes), you would not have found the missing files in the recycle bin, because they wouldn't have been there

Now, if you like to, you can replace the "rm" command at the shell level with a script, for example like k.jacker demonstrated above. This is an old idea, and various versions of these scripts are floating around the internet. They all have some sort of problem. For example trying to move a file across mount points may be very slow, they need a mechanism to resolve name collisions (you delete a file named a.b from one directory, and then a different file called a.b from a different directory, and then what happens), and you get ownership problems with the recycle bin directory, if two different users both delete files with the same name. But their big problem is that they only work when the deletion happens through the explicit "rm" command. They don't help if the file is deleted by overwriting (try "cat /dev/null > /etc/passwd" sometime), or if the deletion happens from a program other than rm (for example from a script written in python or perl), or as part of an operation like the "pg_dropcluster" example you gave above.

I repeat my statement: I know of no file system that has an explicit undelete function. If you find a counterexample, I would be interested to learn about it. However, there are file systems that have fine-grained snapshot functions. Everyone knows about the snapshots in NetApp filers (they really popularized them), about the ones in ZFS, and about the ones in Hammer. Fewer people know the version support in the VMS file system, which fundamentally created a snapshot of a file everytime it was closed after modification (that's because the VMS file system has not been heavily written about in the academic literature, the only paper I know about it is Kronenberg et al., and it is sold only with an operating system that has had little market share in the last decade). Even fewer people know about the Elephant file system, which created a snapshot after every write operation. But in both VMS and Elephant, a file was really gone after you deleted it. Anecdote: The main author of the Elephant file system was a colleague of mine for several years.

Would you like to try again, with different alternate facts?

Do you need some help to buy you a book about file systems?
Oh! That guy not only have no clue about FS, but he can't read either...
Thank you, but no thank you. I have plenty of books, and stacks and stacks of research papers and patents about file systems. Matter-of-fact, some of those papers and patents were written by me.

I did not mentioned about Linux is better, than FBSD!
Quotes from you: "Therefore FAT and EXT files systems do have undelete feauture ..." and "Absolutely EVERY file system has this capability" and "Nobody did it for ZFS, just because of ignorance" and "which I would never see on my EXT4 I have everywhere else". You seem to state that ext4 has this feature (that means on Linux, because ext4 is a native file system on Linux), and that ZFS does not. You also repeatedly complain about other issues you have with FreeBSD and with this community, and that you are going back to using Linux.

Finally, let me summarize the discussion. Undelete tools exist for some file systems. They are all unreliable and dangerous, some more some less. Under human manual supervision with an expert in file system internals at the control, you can sometimes do better than automated undelete tools, but not always. Many modern file systems support some notion of snapshot, ZFS definitely does. Intelligent use of snapshots removes the need for undelete tools.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
I know of no file system that has an explicit undelete function. If you find a counterexample, I would be interested to learn about it.

It appears (I haven't used it) that hammer has some ability to undelete: https://www.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=undo .. it looks to rely a nightly (cron-initiated) prune of deleted files, but there is some ability to recover until then. Certainly an interesting design, and not one I've seen before.

That said, I can understand the (recent) poster's frustration. To him, I say this: we've all been there at some point. It's hard when you're extremely frustrated to see that others are trying to help, even if it is in the form of "you should really have done this." No one (to my knowledge) has written a (publicly available) tool for undeleting zfs files. Since snapshots are a flagship feature of the system, I don't expect anyone will (well, someone who charges to help disaster recovery operations might have one, but they will likely charge for its use.) See, for example, a similar discussion here: http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2016-March/024994.html ... if you were looking for a simple text file, you might have been able to find snippets with grep of the raw device, but for a database (presumably of some size) that is constantly being re-written in small chunks... you're looking at a very tall order. (If compression is enabled, grep would be of no use for a text file, either.)

I know it is after the fact, but I would suggest installing sysutils/zfstools and turning on auto-snapshots; this has saved my bacon more than once. Good luck!

No one (to my knowledge) has written a (publicly available) tool for undeleting zfs files.
To be frank with you from where I am sitting a properly implemented delete functionality would be much more desirable than "undelete" BS OP is asking about. Let me explain. ralphbsz will correct me but my understanding that rm command on the ext2 file system just removes inode numbers. I find this post semi-informative

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/117325/where-are-filenames-stored-on-a-filesystem

about the notions of inodes and where the file names are actually stored. In practical terms that means that contrary to ralphbsz said in his post the content of the file is indeed never completely removed unless it is overwritten. You might need a help of local NSA gurus to recover the data from such drive but that should not be a show stopper. I don't know enough about design of various file systems to tell how OP's OS of choice (Linux) picks up the blocks where the new content is written. However even writing zeros on the top of existing data is not enough to truly delete file (I think this is what Linux command shred does). There is a way to recover data from the drive which is overwritten in such linear fashion with non-random stream of zeros and NSA guys are doing it routinely. I am not sure how FreeBSD is handling rm command and how ZFS affects it but OpenBSD rm actually rewrites blocks three times with the pseudo-random numbers (as any mathematician will tell you there is not such thing as a truly random number on the computers). That is OK rm functionality if you ask me.

It is much more complicated, and quite off-topic. In a Unix file system, you have to distinguish two things: files, and the names that point at files. Files can have zero or more names. Names point at exactly one file (except for short transition periods they point at zero or two, and during those periods nobody is allowed to look at them, locking guarantees that).

In the following, I will use the term "inode" to talk about files. That's not 100% correct, because there is more to a file than just the inode (which does not usually contain the data in the file), and some file systems don't actually use inodes at all, and sometimes inodes themselves are stored as record in files, but for simplicity I'll use the word inode. The inode contains all the attributes of a file except the name, for example ownership and permissions, mtime and atime and all that, and most importantly some way to find the data of the file on disk. It does *not* include the file name. Inodes are stored on disk. In the old days, inodes were exactly 512-bytes long (one sector), and were simply stored on disk, using the same space allocation method that files used when they needed a sector.

File names, on the other hand, are stored in directories. You can think of directories as objects in the file system that are just like files, except their content is specially structured: they always consist of directory entries. For simplicity, we can assume that a directory entry contains a name (relative to the directory it is in, so /home/fred/hello.c would have "hello.c"), a flag whether this entry is a file or a directory (or some other strange entity like a soft link or device or other things we'll ignore), and if it is a file, a way to find the inode. Most file systems use an inode number for that (not all do). You can really think of directories as nothing but special files containing lists of directory entries (early file systems implemented them that way).

Let's go through the life cycle of files to get a few examples. You open a file that already exists by name: You look up the name in the appropriate directory, find the inode number, look at the inode to do some permission checking, find the data, and read or write it. Boring. You create a new file that doesn't exist: you add a new directory entry to the appropriate directory, you create an empty inode and write it to disk, and then start writing (or reading after you have written something). So far it's easy. Notice that I have deliberately not talked about deleting a file!

The complexity happens because of two nasty things in unix file systems: hard links and temporary files. Let's do hard links first. A file already exists, and has exactly one name (the one you created above). You want to add a second hard link to it: You find the appropriate directory, add a new directory entry to it (with the correct name), and make it point to the same inode. So now you have two names (two directory entries) that point to the same inode (the same file)! That fact has to be recorded somewhere (you'll see in a moment why). That may sound confusing (and I personally hate it, life would be easier if there was a 1-to-1 correspondence between inodes and names), but it works. The important thing to remember: an inode (the body of the file) can have multiple names that point to it.

Let's do the first example of deleting a file. Let's take a file that has many names (many hard links): We can delete one of the names (with the unlink system call), and exactly nothing happens. Superficially, all unlink() does is to remove a directory entry that points to a file. This sounds like "delete" is broken on Unix file systems, and they will leak disk space, but we'll fix that later.

The crazy thing is creating a temporary file. That's done like this: You create a new file (new directory entry, new inode), and record that all. That new file now has one name. Then, while the file is still open, you delete the file (with the unlink system call). But the file is still open, so the inode can't go away, but the directory entry is wiped out. At this point an inode exists, but there are zero names pointing to it. You can read and write the file, but nobody else will ever be able to find this file again. Now, what prevents that inode from being harvested, overwritten, or destroyed? The fact that the file system remembers that 1 user process has it open. What do we learn from this? The file system has to keep track of how many names a file has, and whether it is open.

Now let's go completely crazy, and build the super-secret communication channel that nobody can find. Adam and Bob are two processes on a Unix system, and they want to communicate, without Eve else listening in (don't worry, the thing I'm about to build is actually totally insecure, it's intellectually no more complex than two cans and a string). Here's what they do: Adam creates a file, and then Bob opens it. Now the same file is open from two processes, and they can mutually see what each other have written, by reading. Once they know that communication is working, one of them unlinks it. Nobody else can find the file (without a name, you can't get to it), so Eve can't spy on them. The two of them chat for a while, then both close the file. (By the way, the names Adam/Bob/Eve are the standard names used in the cryptography literature; and since Eve has a brain (she's female after all), she could just have opened the file at the same time Bob did, and read everything the two idiots were talking about.)

So let's ask the question: Those temporary files, when can they be actually deleted? So here is the answer to how deleting a file really works: unlink'ing a file only removes a name to a file, as we said above. All inodes have to keep two counters: a counter of how many directory entries point at this inode (is usually 1, but as we saw above it could be 0 for a temporary file, and 2... for a file with multiple hard links), and a second counter of how many processes have this file open right now (this is zero for most files, and in fact once the file is open there is a data structure in kernel memory that describes the open state). Whenever a file is closed by a process, the kernel can check: if both counters (both the number of names and the number of open instances) have dropped to zero, it can actually wipe out the inode (in practice, they are typically not wiped out, just unallocated and the space becomes available for reuse).

So finally, I can explain how a normal rm works: Superficially, it just unlink's a directory entry; but in the normal case (of a file that has a single name and is not open), that happens to also wipe out the inode, and in the process free all the data blocks on disk that are in use by the file. It is actually quite a complicated process. The important thing to remember is that the second part of that operation (wiping out the inode and freeing the data blocks) may not happen at the time of rm and unlink, but later. By the way, I don't want to discuss right now what happens if the computer crashes in the middle of any of these operations, but if you think about it just a little bit, you'll see why fsck exists.

You talked about shred'ing files and overwriting them three times with random bits. Some file systems can do that when the inode is wiped and data blocks freed. But the reality is much more complicated. For example, one can truncate a file to zero size, and some file systems even have the ability to punch holes (unallocated areas) into files. Should they be shred'ed or wiped such? Interesting policy question.

(By the way, if you enjoy complex puzzles: Go through the above logic for when the open count and the name count get incremented and decremented, but now with snapshots, and files that can be read from snapshots, and snapshots that can be deleted. There is a reason that snapshots were added to file systems only after the field had about 20 years of experience.)

In most cases, immediately after an inode is wiped (meaning usually just unallocated), the inode is still on disk without having been overwritten, and the data blocks are probably also still there. And the directory entry (in the directory itself) is typically also not completely removed, just flagged as "free, can be used for something else". So if you crash the machine immediately afterwards, and use an offline data recovery tool, you can probably find the inode and data, and perhaps even most of a directory entry for it. But at this point there are no consistency guarantees: the file system is heavily multi-threaded, and some other thread could have already started using the same disk blocks for something else. Matter-of-fact, modern file system do not actually implement all that stuff I explained above, because doing all these steps with real IO would be ludicrously slow. Instead, most of these operations happen in memory, with complex data structures and locking. With journaling, transactions, and soft updates, the actual writing of these things to disk happens before, after and instead of the simple outline I gave above. So now some tools come in (either offline tools or even worse online tools like lefsha described), and think they can look at the disk, and modify the state of file system internal structures, or write to disk, and most of the time chaos will happen (it may actually work some of the time). If undelete were easy, file systems would implement it. It is hard, and a lot of work. And the little tools that claim to do the work are usually unsafe, because they are not correctly integrated.

Finally: You can safely assume that organizations like the NSA are capable of retrieving the data from your disk, even after you deleted a file, and even after you have overwritten it 3 times with random bits. If you look at scanning electron microscope pictures of tracks, the information is out there, on the edges of the track (and on SSDs in the voltage levels of the capacitor that stores the bits). Go to storage conference, or go drink a few beers (or stronger stuff) with people who work for Seagate/Hitachi/Toshiba/WD/..., and you'll hear stories. On the other hand, for the average home user, you can assume that other average users won't be able to read your disk after rm'ing a file. And even the normal data recovery companies (who charge you a few thousand dollars to get your data back, after a head crash, or after you rm'ed a file by mistake) won't have much luck if the data has been overwritten even once. For normal safety requirements, the following command is sufficient: "dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/daXXX ...". Another good way to secure your data is self-encrypting drives (which require cryptographic authentication to read the data). Unfortunately, SEDs are also very hard to use, and few systems support them well enough to be practical.

I remember there was a file system without a delete: the bullet server in amoeba. That one was aimed at WORM media for storage. Another research OS with interesting concepts.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
You can still /bin/rm/[I]filename[/I] if you really want to remove a file.
I actually like that, I'm going to fine tune that a bit :D

Great Idea. Unfortunately in my case I hadn't ran
Code:
rm something
It was totally different tool, which did something totally unexpected.
No one can control what exact method is used by the certain tool for files deletion.
It can be easily direct system calls.

I tied to explain once again my post was not about technical issue with a file system!

Finally, let me summarize the discussion. Undelete tools exist for some file systems. They are all unreliable and dangerous, some more some less. Under human manual supervision with an expert in file system internals at the control, you can sometimes do better than automated undelete tools, but not always. Many modern file systems support some notion of snapshot, ZFS definitely does. Intelligent use of snapshots removes the need for undelete tools.

Can't quote the whole long message. But unfortunately you are wrong in any aspect of this discussion.

1. First it was a personal issue about how to deal with questions many people are asking. Look across internet, look out in this forum and you will find how many people are asking about the same problem. And even more. It doesn't matter what people are asking about. They do have problem, therefore they are here to look for support! Instead of helping them some persons are trying to blame them for doing something wrong.

Therefore I put my self in exact the same position trying to teach those teachers who blame other people by demonstrating they don't know the facts and they should not teach or blame other people. Instead they might HELP people and they can't just stay aside.

Is it so difficult to understand?

2. Nice you have confirmed, that undelete functions or programs do indeed exist for many file systems. They aren't every day tool. Nobody claim the opposite. It's not something you run on daily basis, but those help to save your ass if something bad and unexpected has happened.
Which means they do not only exist but also quite helpful !!!

That makes the question, whether a certain file system does have such a tool fully adequate! - That means at least there is no reason to blame a person who is asking such a question!

Am I right?

3. Who cares whether the tool is dangerous if it can save 1-2-3 hours of hard work??? The outcome is simple it does work or not. There are no
different results. Undelete works only with not occupied blocks. And people who wrote all these thousands of programs aren't more stupid,
than those who pretending of being experts! Real experts would never say such a bullshit and would never blame people in trouble!

4. In particular case of ZFS snapshots are helpful, but they don't remove the need of undelete tool. I have demonstrated that with my personal case.

Please note, none of you so called experts told me how should I behave to avoid undesired file delete which has happened to me 2 days ago!

That means - none of given arguments are working in the real life. In theory it sounds nice, but real life is more complex than that.
A reminder. In my case it was a third side tool, which should delete the database
Code:
pg_dropcluster
That action was expected and desired. But in addition to that it has deleted the config file for database I spent long time with. As we all know usually the system updates or even package removal do not touch configuration files or user's settings. In most cases it won't delete those files at all, in other cases it you have to provide a special option for that to happen. Well, I have not expected from PG to behave in that bad manner.

At the end it doesn't matter, because any program could delete files from the system as long as it does have permissions to do it.
There is no insurance against it. And that is only an example, that a user can delete files without knowing it or totally not intentionally.
And that means there should be a solution against such a bad thing. If file would be temporally deleted and kept on until next snapshot
will be issued, that would be a complete and proper solution! That is how I would address it from the technical perspective.

Instead we do have stupid discussions about blaming users for their mistakes... - Quite bad attitude I would say.

5. About Linux... It seems you are another expert who made no difference between a kernel and OS. It does seem also the word Linux
works like a red tape on many people like you. I haven't blamed FBSD or ZFS or Linux in that thread!!! I did mention them, but wasn't blaming them.
I did mention Windows3.1 Does it mean I do admire it or blame it? Nothing of above. That is no point. The major and only point was people.
I do blame them! And that it indeed the truth. People should be more friendly to each other and don't attack people who are just asking questions!!!

Was it to complicated to understand?

It appears (I haven't used it) that hammer has some ability to undelete: https://www.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=undo .. it looks to rely a nightly (cron-initiated) prune of deleted files, but there is some ability to recover until then. Certainly an interesting design, and not one I've seen before.

Very appreciated! That is absolutely ideal behaviour and every one should learn from it.

Mainly I was not asking for help in my particular situation. I was just looking for a solution and would not say a word - just read, until I found
other people being blamed for asking questions! And that was my reason to step in.

The suggestions to do snapshots after the file was deleted is like saying at the funeral the dead man should not be smoking.
It's totally impolite, impractical, doesn't help to anyone and sounds ridiculous. Although the saying people should not be smoking is quite reasonable, helpful advice.

I think that FreeBSD can't be blamed for a ZFS feature. I would be like blaming Linux for Btrfs having allocated huge metadata in raid1 abd wasting space. FreeBSD has its own UFS2 version, which is rock solid (and allows data recovery).

Whether or not this "permantly-rm" ZFS feature is a pro or a con, I guess it highly depends on different situations, users, targets, implementations. I'm sure there's a large slice of FreeBSD users wanting this file system stay the way it is and keep following tge same direction it has so far.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to attempt recover a file on UFS, XFS, EXT* and other filesystem, I strongly recommemd checking out foremost(), sysutils/foremost

lefsha, when you shoot yourself in the foot, do you blame the gun?

Some very experienced people told you what went wrong, that there is no magic wand to make it all right and what to do to not repeat the mistake. Nobody here will help you save your face, but they help you learn from mistakes.

But in addition to that it has deleted the config file for database I spent long time with.

From the man page for pg_dropcluster: (emphasis mine)
This program removes all files that belong to a given PostgreSQL cluster; that includes the data directory, the log file, and all configuration files that were created by pg_createcluster(1).

Granted, many (most? [citation needed]) tools won't delete your config files, but this one explicitly says it will.

That said, if all you are trying to recover is your config (text) file, AND you remember a string from the file (hopefully fairly unique) AND you didn't have ZFS compression enabled, you can just run grep on the raw device and see what turns up. Run it with '-a' and likely '-C <n>' where n is >= the number of lines in your config file. Note this may take hours depending on the device.

EDIT: AND it is a single device pool. (Or a small file on a multi-dev pool.)

They do have problem, therefore they are here to look for support! Instead of helping them some persons are trying to blame them for doing something wrong.
You did something wrong, you ran a command that destroyed some files which you didn't want to destroy. That's a sad fact, and you have to accept the blame for it.

Now, this type of mistake happens all the time, to everyone. I've deleted files that were still needed zillions of times in my life. Mistakes happen. And that's why people are careful. For example by taking a snapshot of the file system right before doing something that might be dangerous. Or by taking a backup right before. That can be done with big, complex automated backup system (I have one on my home server which takes a backup every hour). Or it can be done manually, for example "cd /usr/local/etc; tar -cf /tmp/before.tar .".

Nice you have confirmed, that undelete functions or programs do indeed exist for many file systems.
I would not agree with this statement, because "functions and programs" implies something that meets the quality standards one expects of system programs. For many file systems, there exist after-the-fact hacks which are not well integrated with the file system, and that are unreliable and dangerous.

That makes the question, whether a certain file system does have such a tool fully adequate!
If undelete was easy to write (it is not, it is very hard), and if it was a good investment of time (it is not, since better practices exist, like snapshots or backups), then it would have been written. People in the storage field have known this for many decades. As an example: The VAX was introduced in 1977, and it ran the VMS operating system. The file system on that machine kept older versions of files around, just to protect against files being inadvertently modified. That was 40 years ago! Remember the syntax: file names had the format "[fred.source]hello.c;7", meaning that user fred's home directory had a subdirectory called source, in which his hello.c program had been written 7 times. But: Even VMS did not have an undelete command! If you simply said "del hello.c;", it would delete the most recent version, but that would mean that the next-older version would become the current one (in effect reverting to an older one). To actually delete a file completely, you had to say "del hello.c;*", which deleted all versions, and now it was gone.

Who cares whether the tool is dangerous if it can save 1-2-3 hours of hard work??? The outcome is simple it does work or not. There are no different results.
No. Badly written undelete programs leave the file system in an inconsistent state. On-disk data structures of file systems consist of many interrelated parts, and have many invariants that need to be maintained. For example, if a sector on disk is in use in a file, that fact needs to be reflected in an allocation bitmap, which is usually kept both on disk and in memory (not all file systems use explicit allocation bitmaps, real-world ones are way more complicated than that, with extents and pre-allocated lists, and usually only a part of the allocation bitmap is kept in memory). If one uses a sector for a file that is being undeleted, that needs to be reflected in the allocation bitmaps. And those updates need to be done under lock (because computers are by their nature multi-threaded and things happen in parallel), and using the correct ordering (so if a crash occurs in the middle of the operation the next restart or fsck puts the on-disk structures back into a consistent state). It would be very difficult for undelete program that is implemented outside of the file system (as a separate utility) to use the correct locking (since it can't reach into the file system to acquire and release locks), nor to do the ordering right. I keep repeating the same thing: to do undelete right, it would need to be done inside the file system implementation. It isn't inside, therefore it isn't being done right.

Real experts would never say such a bullshit and would never blame people in trouble!
The real problem with your posts is not that you are asking for assistance after an unfortunate mistake. The real problem is these types of broad attacks on everyone. If we all are not real experts, then why do you even bother to ask us for assistance? I'm sorry, but your posts are logically inconsistent. You also keep saying things like "People should be more friendly to each other and don't attack people who are just asking questions!!!" (with triple exclamation marks). Sorry, you are not just asking questions. You are shouting at people, with triple exclamation marks, telling them what they should do, and you are telling them what is wrong with them in your mindset.

In particular case of ZFS snapshots are helpful, but they don't remove the need of undelete tool. I have demonstrated that with my personal case.
If your configuration data for "pg_dropcluster" had been in ZFS, and if you had done a "zfs snapshot" before, all you would have to do is to go back to that snapshot (for example by copying files from the snapshot back to the live file system). Really, no need for an undelete tool.

... In most cases it won't delete those files at all, in other cases it you have to provide a special option for that to happen. Well, I have not expected from PG to behave in that bad manner.
Read the documentation before using the command. By the way, I have *NO* idea what pg_dropcluster does, but I know that one has to read its documentation before using it.
And see above: Take a snapshot of all your configuration data. Or back it up: look at the tar command I gave above: It copies all of the /usr/local/etc hierarchy, just in case something gets damaged.

To summarize this post: A reasonable discussion would have been that you asked whether there is an undelete tool for ZFS. The answer is that there is not, for unfortunately good technical reasons. Then you could have asked what other options exist to safeguard against inadvertent damage to configuration files, from running a command whose side-effects were not understood by the person running it. The answer is to take snapshots before, or back up the configuration files.

EDIT: Because of these posts in the last few days, I've been thinking about how one could add real undelete functionality into a file system for fun. I think it can be done, but it requires considerably trickery. One would have to use a versioning mechanism (see the VMS example above), and combine it with a non-Posix interface to get to the deleted files. Elephant's trick (pound sign in file name) unfortunately violates Posix, but at least it's a starting point. Organizing deleted files in the metadata is possible, but rather nasty; one would have to create a system of shadow or zombie flags in various places to mark entries such as inodes and indirect blocks; and then every bit of code in the file system would need to check these zombie flags. The real issue is that eventually, undeletable files really do need to be deleted. And the order of doing that is highly non-trivial. Alistair's paper "When to forget in the Elephant file system that never forgets" only exposes the tip of the iceberg; to do the same in a modern production system with high performance would need good insight into use patterns, to create the heuristics of when to finally delete. Doing this would probably take several person-years of work, but it's the kind of thing that could get "best paper award" at a conference. Might be a good thing for a group of graduate students to take on as a PhD thesis group project.

Back