Resizing /usr

Portupgrades have left my system bumping up against the limit of space in /usr. I am running freeBSD as a virtual box guest. I have virtual box set to auto resize however, that doesn't increase the size of /usr.

How can i increase the size of /usr? I have read several posts and am still not sure how to continue.

Move /usr/ports to it's own filesystem (with lots of room).

SirDice said:
Move /usr/ports to it's own filesystem (with lots of room).

or move /usr/local, & symlink /usr/ports to /usr/local/ports.

of course with a virtual machine it shouldn't be a huge deal to mount a second virtual hard drive, make the new partitions the sizes you want, dump | restore to the new virtual drive (set up the boot code &cet obviously), & restart with the new virtual drive.

I have an additional 6+GB(unused) on drive ad0, I have unsucessfully tried to add slice s2 using sysinstall. It fails on Write in that ad0s1 is in use and can't be written to(i think). I desire to add this as an additional file system and assign it a mount point say /usr/local and then mkdir ports and move the contents of /usr/ports to it and then symlink to it from /usr/ports.

How do I add the slice so that it persists? Is my logic correct?

Thanks

hitchup said:
I have an additional 6+GB(unused) on drive ad0, I have unsucessfully tried to add slice s2 using sysinstall. It fails on Write in that ad0s1 is in use and can't be written to(i think). I desire to add this as an additional file system and assign it a mount point say /usr/local and then mkdir ports and move the contents of /usr/ports to it and then symlink to it from /usr/ports.

How do I add the slice so that it persists? Is my logic correct?

Thanks

Sounds fine, you need to do # sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16 before you can edit the boot disk.

I goofed.

I added the new partition ad0s2d to fstab.

It is detecting an error. No Superblock found.

How can I recover? The file system comes up read only and I can't invoke any editors.

hitchup said:
How can I recover? The file system comes up read only and I can't invoke any editors.

Standard procedure, see my signature ;)

Code:
# fsck -y
# mount -u /
# mount -t ufs -a
# swapon -a

@SirDice
Thanks, File system rw and edited fstab.
fsck -u:

Code:
/dev/ados2d
Cannot find file system superblock
ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
fsck_ufs: can't read disk label

Okay, How do make the label? And, make it persist?

Back