Required Ip-Adresses

Hello,

I am absolute new to BSD. I am used to use Linux (Ubuntu) and I wanted to give FreeBSD a try. So I have decided to install it.

I faild in setting up my network. I dont know my IPv4 Address and the name of the host, the IPv4 gateway and of course the name server. So the machine cutted me from the ports (=software).

My provider is vodafone and I am located in Germany/Bamberg. I want to install a dualboot Ubuntu/FreeBSD.

I have an Atheros 5012 (I think) wlan card. lspci says it´s a ' Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)'.

My network is setted up with DHCP I guess. Isn´t it like the Ip is switching all the time as I connect to the Internet??, because of DHCP??

Please help. I have allready read the official handbook and don´t know what to do.

Cheers

Martin

Can u please tell me, if i need it to set my wlan-card up. or is it just for server applications. i habe a wpa2 secured wireless network. can i use the wpa-supplicant later. still i need a password. can i do this via ifconfig??

So what about ports? How can I install a gnome desktop? How do u install under BSD in general? How do u open/add ports? what is it all about?

DutchDaemon said:
You said, in your opening post:

Clearly you haven't, or the questions in the previous post wouldn't have been asked.

Yes, I have but only the sction about insalling a raw system without gui. The book is ca. 1400 pages... I cannot read that fast. The most important thing for me is first to get a running system, so I can start playing with it....

Back