REQ Port: ffgtk (Fritz Fun) for controlling a FRITZ!Box or compatible router

FRITZ!Box DSL-routers are very popular around here, since they are running Linux and offer advanced features not found in any other units. There is a Linux software package available called ffgtk (Fritz Fun) which makes it possible to use those advanced features:

Fritz Fun (ffgtk) is a clean solution for controlling the FRITZ!Box or compatible router with Linux. It offers a rich feature list, including caller monitor, fax support, softphone and sms support.

Fritz Fun

Support for Speedport- and FRITZ!Box-Router
Send/Receive fax via FRITZ!Box and Speedport
Call-Monitor for signaling incoming/outgoing calls
Softphone-Integration with DTMF support
Retrieve and delete caller list of FRITZ!Box
Print caller list
Automatic saves caller list to harddisc for further editing
Import of CSV-files for caller list and address books
Reverse lookup of phone numbers via address books and online-platforms (dasoertliche, 11880, goyellow, gelbeseiten)
Call phone numbers from pc, e.g. double-click on caller list entry or manually input
Native support for ffgtk-, Evolution- and Thunderbird-Address books (with images) without using CSV-files
Optional sounds for incoming and outgoing calls
Reconnect internet connection
Accept fax only on selected MSN
Dial-Dialog with hangup-function
Option to improve image quality
Blinking symbol on missed calls
Profile support
Assistant for easy router/port setup
Action support (e.g. pause playing when call starts, change pidgin status...)
GNOME Keyring Manager support
Call filter
Detailed tooltip with external ip and dsl information
DECT support

libcapi

It is the new official capi!
New module based libcapi
Can use multiple device on the same time
Autodetection of present devices
Standard CAPI interface support
Melware RCAPI support
FRITZ!Box CapiOverTCP support
Improved 64bit support

yaps

Send SMS utility for ISDN/Analog only (optional)

ffgtk-dial

Add-on for Firefox which allows dialing selcted text number via ffgtk (optional)
I started a thread in the ffgtk forum (unfortunately only in German language) with some promising answers about a FreeBSD port, but I am not a programmer and definitely not capable of porting software, so maybe somebody else here can take a look?

MasterOne said:
but I am not a programmer and definitely not capable of porting software, so maybe somebody else here can take a look?

Making a port is not the same thing as porting the software.
Making the port is often as simple as adjusting the makefile of another port.

Take a look at: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

If it compiles without changes, then it is usually quite easy. I was in the same situation as you, I made some ports that I felt I needed - quick dirty hackish ones - but they worked for me.

Not sure about porting, ffgtk should compile with patches applied as provided in the German forum thread. I'd very much appreciate it, if anybody else here using FreeBSD and a FRITZ!Box could create a port, even better if it find its way into the ports tree.

Concerning FreeBSD I am still at the very beginning, I'm reading the handbook now and then, following the forums, but I still don't even have a machine running it (actually due to this problem, too bad that exactly the one computer destined to run FreeBSD doesn't co-operate), so it would be totally overkill for me to jump into porting right now.

Since it doesn't seem to be a huge effort to port this software for someone experienced, I thought maybe someone else using FreeBSD and having a FRITZ!Box may be interested.

Back