Xfce Replacing thunar completely with xfe

Hello,

Because of some issues with x11-fm/thunar I want to replace this file manager with x11-fm/xfe. xfce4-settings allows to change tool for file management, so this procedure is easy to setup with some mouse clicks..

But why will trash still be handled with Thunar? Has trash nothing to do with file management? And I guess, open external devices also will be handled by Thunar, I've not tested yet.

How to configure that under Xfce4 x11-fm/xfe is file manager for all kinds of file management?

Kind regards,
Holger

Hi,

Problem is not Thunar, but rather devel/glib20, kqueue/kevent backend has been disabled. As devel/gvfs depends of GLib, gvfsd-trash daemon is not really functional. In fact monitoring events are not any more accessible to GIO structure.

Behaviour will be same with any files managers (if they use devel/gvfs).

On my test box, I use GLib 2.46 current stable release (during 2.45 cycle kqueue/kevent backend was improved), but problem still persists. Workaround is to apply this patch.

The problem was discussed here Thread pcmanfm-cant-save-files-related-to-gtk-update.52697 and here https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=753378. In the gnome thread there is a solution, but no "official" patch for the devel/glib20 port exits till now.

"commenting out that mutex in gio/gunionvolumemonitor.c
and it seem to not hang any more"

581 _g_mount_get_for_mount_path (const gchar *mount_path,
582 GCancellable *cancellable)
583 {

593 if (klass->get_mount_for_mount_path)
594 {
595 // g_rec_mutex_lock (&the_volume_monitor_mutex);
596 mount = klass->get_mount_for_mount_path (mount_path, cancellable);
597 // g_rec_mutex_unlock (&the_volume_monitor_mutex);
598 }

Kqueue works with this.

Should work if you comment out or delete the line
Code:
ac_cv_header_sys_event_h=   # this disables kqueue
in the devel/glib20 Makefile (version glib-2.44.1_1) and with the attached patch.
This was a temporary workaround.
(The patch is not only needed for filemanagers, also firefox, thunderbird and the editors need it for problems with the file-chooser and saving files)

(Btw, I also like x11/xfe more than thunar or pcmanfm).

Attachments

• patch-gio_gunionvolumemonitor_c.txt
    574 bytes · Views: 209
Back