Solved Replacing system for upcoming 64-bit requirement

The system I run Freebsd on is about 14 years old.

I see that in a future release, 64-bit capable hardware will be required.

If I build a conforming system, is it likely I can zfs send a snapshot of my current setup and it will work?
Or will I need to reset and create an installation from scratch?

You already use 64-bit x86.

Or, do you have multiple computers with FreeBSD?

Platforms | The FreeBSD Project
No, my mistake.
To be clear, I won't have issues with this hardware going into FreeBSD 15.X?

What drove this question is the drives in my data tanks are now well over 5 years old and the block size is incorrect. I think the best way forward is to build a new raid and probably a new system and 'zfs send' the data there.

I thought as long as I was considering replacing those drives, I should look at the whole system. And I missed the forest for the trees that the processor was 64-bit.
Am I being too cautious? Should I wait for a scrub to alert me? That's likely a matter of personal comfort. but while I have had ZFS for quite a while, I have not had to interact with it much over the years. Which is one of its great selling points!

I appreciate your time and thoughts.

… into FreeBSD 15.X?

For an upgrade from RELEASE: aim for a superior RELEASE, unless you have a reason to use STABLE or CURRENT.

<https://wiki.bsd.cafe/docs:freebsd:choose>

… drives in my data tanks are now well over 5 years old

In itself, that would not worry me.

Compare with <https://forums.freebsd.org/profile-posts/5291/> where drives are, or were, more than fifteen years old.

and the block size is incorrect. …

Yep, you'll probably reap some benefit from correctness there.

For a device that is stationary (like a server), I'd place more confidence in spinning rust than NAND cells with limited write cycles. Although a good SSD manufacture wouldn't be much of a concern nowadays. ZFS just add more cream to the crop. I'd say you're fine. Just keep an eye on that scrub status.

I'm frankly sold on SSDs, rather than spinning rust... but other than that, if you have 64-bit hardware, you'll be fine for FreeBSD 15. Good SSD brands I can recommend are Samsung, ADATA, Crucial, SanDisk, and Western Digital... Actually, most of them are good, just stay away from cheap stuff. If you see a 1 TB SSD going for $100 on average for the good brands, I'd caution against buying a different brand 1 TB SSD for $50 - you usually get what you pay for.

Back