Removed Libreoffice

After having numerous issues with Libreoffice on my netbook (ENORMOUS compile time, which almost always ends in a failed installation anyway) I decided to get rid of it all at once.

Other than a complete office suite what lightweight alternatives are there? I have to be able to view/edit .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx files.

Thanks!

I was going to say use the binary package, but it appears it's corrupted.

Aside from LibreOffice, there's Abiword, but I've found it doesn't keep compatibility with .doc files too well. So, your best bet is probably Google Docs.

rdlfree said:
Try Koffice (Kword, ...etc.) in KDE or ABI Word.
I would prefer a lightweight solution, thus no office suite please.

swirling_vortex said:
I was going to say use the binary package, but it appears it's corrupted.

Aside from LibreOffice, there's Abiword, but I've found it doesn't keep compatibility with .doc files too well. So, your best bet is probably Google Docs.
Ya, maybe I might have to try Google Docs, if there is no better solution.

See this thread http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=14603

and check out post by Bloodtears:

bloodtears said:
Hi! I came across this link: http://www.abisource.com/wiki/PluginMatrix

It seems like there are plugins for AbiWord to support .docx files. However, when I install AbiWord on my FreeBSD 8.0 machine, it seems that the only plugin available is the "OpenDocument Filter".

Did I forget to make additional configurations to install the rest of the plugins, or that current Abiword (at least for FreeBSD port) does not support Office Open XML format?

Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

Google Docs is actually very good for basic word processing, so good that I haven't yet found a reason to install any office suites on my home system.

This is not the first time LibreOffice failed to build and install. It is the ONLY package I am having problems with. AND it takes ages to load, is slow and sometimes unresponsive. It is for the better that I go for a lighter solution.

Back