remove /usr/ports; device busy

Code:
rm /var/db/portsnap/tag
rm -rf /var/db/portsnap/files
rm -rf /usr/ports
portsnap fetch extract

I tried to find dig, icmpaddrmask and host in the ports tree, these ports were not found. Then I ran:

rm /var/db/portsnap/tag
rm -rf /var/db/portsnap/files
rm -rf /usr/ports

and after that
portsnap fetch extract

rm: /usr/ports: Device busy

There are no other terminal windows and no other commands running. Is there something wrong?

Is this perhaps a ZFS system? In that case /usr/ports is a separate dataset. If you try to remove the whole directory ( rm -rf /usr/ports) it's going to complain. You can't remove the /usr/ports directory, you have to destroy the dataset to do that.

That said, don't destroy the dataset, just remove the contents of that directory and leave the directory itself alone; rm -rf /usr/ports/* /usr/ports/.[^.]*

Is this perhaps a ZFS system? In that case /usr/ports is a separate dataset. If you try to remove the whole directory ( rm -rf /usr/ports) it's going to complain. You can't remove the /usr/ports directory, you have to destroy the dataset to do that.

That said, don't destroy the dataset, just remove the contents of that directory and leave the directory itself alone; rm -rf /usr/ports/* /usr/ports/.[^.]*
I second that, on my installation by running rm -rf /usr/ports/* everything is fine.

Thank you. It worked. Now running portsnap fetch extract. Working well.

I understand that working with ports and packages at the same time gives rise to some problems. I prefer to stay with the ports method at all times, but recently I used pkg install once or twice, is there something to be done to undo anything that pkg install has done, and stay with ports ever after?

Thank you.

Back